Serenity

Warning: Graphic language is featured in this chapter

Serenity blew her nose with a paper-towel and glanced over at the landline phone on the wall as it began to ring. She leaned the mop against the island and went to answer it. She gleefully smiled with relief when she saw Kara's name on the caller ID.

She wiped at her eyes, cleared her throat and picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello love!" Kara sing-songed in her nasal, raspy voice. "I haven't heard from you in a while so I thought I'd call. You know, just to remind you that I'm still here. I know bitches get married and conveniently get short-term amnesia-"

"You know it's not even like that."

"No offense taken, I promise. Shit, I don't blame you. I know if Nyle was my man I'd never let his ass out of bed. He wouldn't be able to breathe or get a moment to himself. He'd be like 'Please Kara, get off of me. Let me live my life. Let me go outside.' I'd be like 'Nooo, now get back in that bed and lie down so I can sit on your face and hop up and down'."

Serenity threw her head back and guffawed. "Kara!"

"Come on girl; don't act like you're not sitting on that beautiful face at least five to six times a day."

Serenity chuckled again and leaned against the stove. "No one has time or energy to be fucking all day Kara."

Unless you're with Tristan. Memories. Fuck! Those inconvenient, tormenting memories!

Serenity lightly smacked herself repeatedly on the head and prayed for those memories to eject themselves from her mind.

"Speak for yourself lady; Nyle is irresistibly fuckable, and you are damn lucky to have him," Kara slyly marveled.

Serenity shook her head and smiled. She didn't take offense to Kara's comments; she was used to it. Kara was her best friend but she was also unapologetically thirsty. She had been single for years and had no prospects in sight. She didn't have any kids and she was yearning for that validation to go on her finger. She talked a lot of shit but she was also a woman of high moral value. Kara was the last person Serenity would ever have to worry about with Nyle. She knew she could trust Kara and that her friend only wanted the best for her. She knew she was genuinely happy for her.

"So what's been up with you guys?" Kara continued. "You pregnant yet?"

Serenity rolled her eyes. "Nope. Not trying to be."

"You don't want to have babies with that gorgeous man? You're nuts. Do you know how beautiful your children would be?"

"I want to have kids, just not right now. I still have too much I want to do with my life."

"Like what? Stay home, watch TV, and eat bon-bons?"

"Kara you know I want to get back into acting. And I'm still working on my book."