Serenity

Tristan hesitantly looked up at her and held his hands up to explain but she cut him off.

"You've been talking to Ricky the entire seven years and you never thought for one second to contact me? The woman you claim to love so much? Not once? You fucking asshole!"

She charged towards him, hitting, shoving, and pushing on him again. Tristan held her at bay this time and avoided her heavy hands. He held her by her wrists and seriously looked at her. "Serenity, don't be angry with him. I told him not to tell you. I had my reasons. I can explain everything if you just give me a chance."

"Get your fucking hands off me!

"Serenity, if you'd had a chance to read the letters they would've told you why-"

"Letters? What letters?"

"The letters I wrote you."

"Wait a minute. What letters are you talking about?"

"I brought them to the church. I gave them to Ricky to give them to you but Nyle said he tossed them, and-"

Serenity yanked away from him and held her hands up, cutting him off. "Wait, wait, wait, wait! When the hell did you see Nyle?"

Tristan fiddled with the zippers on his jacket and avoided her eyes. "Six months ago."

"He never told me that."

"Of course he didn't."

Serenity's face was mired with confusion. "Why did you and Nyle meet?"

Tristan shifted back and forth on his feet. "I called him. I told him I needed to see him and talk to him. I told him I wanted to see you so I could explain everything to you and he refused to let me see you. I was going to leave it alone. God knows I tried to leave it alone. But I couldn't."

He looked at her, his eyes heavy and weary with remorse. "Serenity, I swear I didn't come back into your life to ruin it or to mess things up-"

"But that's exactly what you're doing Tristan. Why couldn't you just leave it the fuck alone? Why couldn't you leave me alone? You've been doing it for the past nine months. Why are you back now? Why now?"

"Because I can't live without you anymore baby. I've tried but I can't. I can't let you go."

Serenity looked at him for a minute then abruptly turned her back on him, walking back to the other side of the room. "You need to leave now Tristan. This has gone on long enough."

"Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"Yes I heard you but none of what you said means a damn thing to me right now. None of it. Not. One. Word."

"I promise if you'd read the letters you'd feel differently baby. I'm telling you if you'd just read the letters-"

"I don't give a fuck about some non-existent letters!"

Tristan walked towards her. "I did write you Serenity! I wrote you every day-"

"Well, I hope you cleared your conscience because I don't care." She unemotionally looked at him and carelessly shrugged. "I don't care. I've moved on. I'm happy now."

"With Nyle."

"Yes," she emphasized, staring him directly in the eye. "With. Nyle."

Tristan snarled at her, his lips forming into an almost disappearing line. "I should've killed him," he said in a voice that dripped with venom.

Serenity slapped the island with her palms and glared at him. "What were you going to kill him for Tristan? Huh? What?"

"I had the opportunity. All it would've taken is one shot and he would've been gone."