Chapter 5

My new cell was exactly that—a cell. Not that I had ever been in jail before, but I assume this is what a cell would look like. A single cot was off to the side with a sink and toilet close by. There was no window to the outside, just a tiny one in the door showing the empty hallway. I was getting really tired of the minimalist accommodations.

My stomach growled, berating me for misbehaving and missing breakfast. Even the slop from last night sounded good. I patted by my hipbone where I still had the switchblade stashed. In all the commotion, it hadn't fallen out. Still had the ace up my sleeve—or down my pants to be more correct.

I laid down on the cot to plan. I couldn't just stab a guard and escape. There were too many of them and no doubt the exits would be locked up. I wrinkled my nose at the memory of slamming into the sealed exit door last night. My nose wasn't broken, but I was willing to bet there was bruising and maybe a black eye or two. Too bad mirrors were prohibited in solitary.

In order to get out of here alive, I would need the cooperation and help of the other prisoners. If we escaped as a group, we could overrun the guards. But the guards were armed, even if the weapons were mainly for show, they might still shoot if swarmed. Why had there never been a group escape attempt? I mean there was only about sixteen people all together, but that still was better than only a few. Leo never mentioned anything other than a single person trying to get out. If they all just worked together, they could get out—probably. I just needed to get back to the cafeteria. They were just locking me in here to try to exert their power; to break my will, but it wasn't going to happen.

I turned over on the cot and saw the tiny line markings in the paint. Someone had gouged hundreds of tiny tics into the wall, torn fingernail clippings stuck in some. I gulped and rolled back around. Would that be me soon?

They brought me lunch and supper; each time the guard brandishing pepper spray like I was a rabid drunk. It shamed me to admit, but I scarfed down the terrible food. I was starving and I would be no use without my strength. If they really wanted to break a person they would deprive them of food, which was kind of throwing me off. This place was confusing. They kept us here like criminals in jail, yet we weren't left to rot in a cell—unless we attacked them. They gave us food and clothes; the only torture coming from the experiments and I was willing to bet they didn't count that as torture.

After being left for zombie-chow, I'd beg to differ. Facing the infected was scary enough, but facing them unarmed and stuck in a tiny space had been horrifying. I hope whoever they sent out to collect a new infected was torn apart in the process.

My hateful fantasizing was interrupted by the lights going out. Must be bedtime. Looks like I'd be spending the night in here. I wondered how they were powering this place. There must be backup generators; all hospitals had them. But that was an awful lot of fuel needed. This place had been going for a few months, it had to running on fumes. Maybe I could just wait it out. Once this place ran out of juice, escaping would be easier.

I spent the night dozing, too tired to toss and turn. This time I didn't dream of the lady hanging from the ceiling, but instead of being trapped in a kennel then being released and chased. No matter how much I ran, I could never get away from the unseen thing chasing me. This place was going to mess with my head eventually.

In the morning, the guards tossed me a clean outfit to change into with my breakfast. Once I ate and they came to collect the tray, I complained about needing a shower before I changed into the clean clothes. I felt gross from stewing in zombie goo all night. The guards looked at each other like they didn't have a brain between them. One left to ask for permission and when he came back, they took me to the communal showers. No one else was in there, but I still felt awkward stripping down in a giant empty bathroom.