Chapter 15

We weren't equipped to deal with a large scale fire. This would burn Hargrove to the ground. And those bunch of smaller fires had me worried that it wasn't an accident. I was almost at John's condo when a loud crash echoed from the front. I turned in time to see the front gate explode with sparks flying into the night and a truck come barreling through. The guards began shooting at the encroaching truck as it skidded to a stop. Men burst from the back and began shooting at our guards.

My heart stopped as I ducked when the gunfire erupted. This would draw people into the street, right into the danger. I ripped my Beretta from my waistband and ran the rest of the distance to John's condo. The door flew open before I could reach it. John ran through with an M-16, ready for action.

"Don't shoot," I said while ducking further.

"Bailey? What's happenin'? Is that smoke?" John asked in a rush.

"We're under attack!" I yelled.

Chloe and Zoe chose that moment to appear outside.

"What's goin' on?" Chloe asked, sleepily.

"Zoe take her back inside and hide!" John ordered and they fled back into the house.

"What do we do?" I asked.

It would only be a matter of time before they made it this far into Hargrove. More automated gunfire bounced off the walls and echoed down the streets. People were already emerging from their homes. I waved at the closest one's, silently telling them to go back inside.

"We need to get to the armory before they do," John said.

Together, we kept close to the front of the condos and avoided being out in the open as we made our way to the building we used for the armory. My hands were shaking from the adrenaline rushing my system. I wasn't prepared for something like this. No one in this town was. It was going to be a slaughter if the invaders didn't stop. Not to mention the big gaping hole they left in their wake where the infected could now get in.

Had Ethan gotten to Henry and the others? Oh God, what if I had just sent him to his death? I was mad at him, but I didn't want him dead. The gunfire stopped for the moment. I could hear a male barked orders that sounded like he was telling them to fan out. John pulled out a ring of keys and quietly inserted one into the deadbolt. Slowly, he turned it until we heard the deadbolt retract and we scurried inside, immediately shutting the door behind us.

"We gotta get as much guns and ammo out as we can," John said, leading the way to the back bedroom being used as an armory.

The front door handle rattled and John grabbed my arm yanking me to the side, using the hallway way to cover us. He took off his hat and peered around the corner. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I had to take a deep breath to avoid passing out. It was different when it was just me that I was accountable for. Now I was worrying about everyone else. I couldn't stand to lose another friend.

"Ethan?" John hissed.

I relaxed a measure. I hadn't sent him to his death after all. Ethan joined us in the back along with Henry and his new wife.

"You had the same idea too, huh?" Henry said.

"Yeah, we need to make sure they don't get our weapons. You see how many were out there?" John asked.

Ethan shook his head. "Just saw the ones that came out of the truck. 'Bout five that I could see."

More gunfire sounded from outside and we all the screams. I swallowed over the sound of my heartbeat thrashing in my ears. They were getting closer.