Chapter 12

Hargrove looked the same as I had left it. I half expected it to be up in flames when we got back; civil unrest having taken over inside. But no, it was still intact with guards at their posts. John stuck his head out the window and they opened the gate for us. I was suddenly very conscious of my attire and condition. It was obvious we had been through the ringer at the hospital. I hoped that Wyatt would have to see-not that he would care in the end.

We got out of the vehicles, the new additions sticking close to me, unsure of the approaching crowd. The slow girl ran over to Leo and latched onto him. George gave me a curious glance and I gave him a thumbs up. John walked over to me.

"Could have mentioned that guy was deaf. I was talkin' to him for a good ten minutes before one of the others informed me he couldn't hear," John said.

"Not like I had time to facilitate introductions, you know," I pointed out. But I knew how John felt; the same thing had happened to me. "Speaking of that, what did you guys do with Wyatt and his crew? You can't expect me to stay here with them."

"I wouldn't do that to you. We have 'em locked up in the condo we used to hold Byron. There's a guard posted at all times till we decide what to do with 'em."

"Do I get a say in that?"

John pursed his lips. "Depends on what you wanted to do with 'em. Would you hold Ethan to that same punishment?"

I held eerily still. "He told you then?"

"He told me he made a big mistake in tellin' those guys about you bein' immune before you and Chloe even showed up. Before he knew they were bad news."

"Well he did tell them and I got punished for it. He can go to hell." My fists were shaking again. I didn't care if he felt bad. He shouldn't have betrayed my secret regardless of whether he thought Wyatt was a good guy or not. That wasn't for him to share.

John placed a hand on my shoulder. "I ain't goin' to tell you to forgive him, but you have to deal with him. You got others besides him to consider."

As if he had summoned her with his words, Chloe came running up to us. She looked at Ethan then swung her head around until she saw me, then ran straight for me. I braced myself for the impact, but my stomach was still sore from the punt I had taken. I let out an "oomph" sound and Chloe loosened her grip.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" she said, looking up at me.

"You injured worse than I can see?" The ever watchful John asked.

"Just some bruising," I said, but it did hurt.

"What happened?" Chloe asked, still not fully letting go of me. I cursed Ethan again for putting me in this situation.

I gently pushed Chloe off. "You know me, just getting into some fights."

John's eyes narrowed. "You should get that looked at."

"By who? The guy who helped send me off?" I said harshly. "Maybe he should have to look me over, so he can see firsthand."

"No, Oscar is locked up as well. Crystal was unofficially shadowin' him, mostly after Sheri was shot. She can have a look," John said.

"I'm not the only one," I said, motioning for the others we had brought back. Rose was injured for sure and I didn't know if any of the others needed something looked at.

"All right everyone, follow me," John barked at us.

We walked together to the medic center, Chloe hanging on me the whole time.

"There she is," Chloe said.

I turned to see what she was talking about. Zoe stopped just before me and looked me over. Tears filled her eyes and she gently gave me a hug.