Chapter 25

Lucas started to purposely hit the infected in our way with the cube van.

"Stop that!" I commanded.

We needed our cargo to reach the motel at least.

"This is a pretty big truck, I think it can handle it," Lucas said, veering the truck to the left to take out another.

"You best stop, Mein Fuhrer!" Rose added.

Lucas gripped the wheel so tight I could see his knuckles whiten. I couldn't believe I'd found a person with less tact then myself; Rose truly was terrible.

Arguing and yelling broke out in the cab with everyone trying to get their point across. Lucas yelled about needing to take out as many as we could so that they didn't follow us back. Rose continued to antagonize him with insults and Leo shouted about all the supplies in the back. And I was in the middle of it. I was suddenly homesick for when I was on the road with just Chloe. At the time, she annoyed me with all her questions, but I'd gladly take that over right now.

"Enough!" I yelled even harder. "Enough!"

They quieted down.

"Just get us to the fucking motel," I said.

The rest of the ride was in silence except for the clipped instructions Rose would bark out while reading the map. After a left turn between to warehouses, we reached the main road. I looked out the side mirror. I could see a shadow of a few infected down the road behind us. They had their backs to us, heading in the direction we had come from. I guess that the mower really did work.

I let out a sigh of relief when the castle-themed motel came into view and it was still standing. There were a couple new dead infected added to the pile at the end of the driveway. We drove pass them paying them no mind. They must have had a few wander over while we were gone. Henry and the other guy were on the ball and had the gate open for us by the time we pulled up to the fake moat. They locked it up behind us quickly as well.

I had to wait for Lucas to get out before I could shuffle over. Rose and Leo were having a hard time rounding up the spooked cat on the passenger side. John gave me a huge hug as soon as my feet hit the courtyard tarmac.

"You okay?" he asked when he let me go.

I patted his shoulder. "Better than." I led him around to the back of the truck and yanked upward on the roll up door.

John let out a low whistle. "Well done you guys."

People started to pop out from wherever they were hiding to see what all the noise was. They started talking excitedly behind us as they spotted all the supplies. Amanda let out a squeal, but not because of the supplies. She launched herself as Rose who currently was holding the cat. Chloe followed close behind her to investigate.

"You guys found a cat?" John asked.

"Yeah. Rose insisted on bringing the thing back," I said.

Lucas brushed past us and dug through the supplies producing his case of beer. He left without saying another word. John raised a brow.

"Don't ask," I said.

We got to work unloading some of the supplies. It was easier to leave the bulk of the items in the back in case we needed to get out of here in a hurry. Leo took out an emergency battery to plug a rice cooker and kettle into. Soon plastic bowls of rice and instant oatmeal were being passed around with plastic utensils. Everyone was happy to be eating something other than granola bars. I took a bottle of water from the truck and gulped down the contents. Damn, I was thirsty. I made sure to pour myself a bowl of cereal with the condensed milk. It tasted a little weird at first, but the sugary cereal soon overpowered the grainy milk texture.