Chapter 29: I Don't Admit That To Just Anyone

"Hunter?" I asked as I opened the door. He was sitting on the couch so I went over and stood in front of him.

"You coming to pack your stuff?" He took a sip of his beer.

"No."

Hunter laughed a cold, dark laugh. "Pitty."

I looked at him. His attitude towards me was worse than it was when I first met him. He moved his head so that he could see what was showing on TV behind me.

"What the fu - "

He held his hand out to stop me from talking, "Don't swear if you're talking to me."

I took a deep breath and tried again, "Could you please just look at me?"

Hunter switched off the TV and looked up at me. Hurt flickered in his eyes but it was soon replaced by anger.

"What do you want, Emilia?" He wasn't using my nickname. And the absence of it hurt more than I thought it would.

"Come here."

He scoffed and reluctantly followed behind me towards the phone.

A voice greeted on the other side.

"Hi. It's Emilia Anderson. I'm phoning regarding the apartment I was offered."

Hunter turned to walk away but I grabbed his arm. He tensed under my touch.

"Hi, yes. I just wanted to call to tell you that my friend and I would not like to move. We're happy with our accidental roommates."

I could feel Hunter's muscles relax beneath my grip and I put the phone down.

"You think that changes anything?" Hunter was still angry.

I sighed, "Hunter, I spoke to Sky after I told you and she didn't want to move -"

"So that's why you came back? Don't want to be left alone? Or do you need helping paying rent?" He was speaking to me like a child.

"Seriously, Hunter?" He just looked at me.

He pulled his arm away from me and walked back towards the couch but I ran in front of him and put my hands on his chest.

"Just stop. For one second and listen to me."

Hunter moved my hands away from his chest and scowled.

"Hunter. I'm sorry." He looked surprised by this. "I thought I was protecting myself if I moved but it's not going to stop how I feel about you." I was surprised by my own words but continued to let my heart speak for me, "Because I really like you Hunter Maddox. And I don't admit that to just anyone."

Hunter gestured for me to continue. At least he was no longer scowling.

"I didn't want to have to tell you about my sister or tell you any of the other awful things about me. I didn't want you to see me, how I am without this look," I gestured towards my outfit - black leather jacket and boots, black ripped jeans and white crop top, "But it's the craziest thing because I've felt more like myself when I'm with you... Shit, for a wannabe author that sure did sound cliché."

That got a small laugh out of Hunter.

"And even though you drive me absolutely mad most of the time, I think that's why I like you so much. As much as I want to be repulsed by you, I can't. I tried every way possible, I even tried to find a way to hate the way you call me 'sweetheart' but it's impossible." I sighed again for probably the millionth time this evening, "Hunter, you have such an amazing family and I think that made me jealous, that I didn't have that. But I felt so welcomed at your house, at home. I felt loved. You trusted me with your secrets  and you spoil me too much. You care but you don't tie me down; when I wanted to keep boxing, you let me, no matter how stupid that decision was on my behalf. Oh and you're really smart and attractive. And I could never put you down in words or capture the real you in any of my photos, no matter how much honesty they show..."