Chapter 48: Stop The Car

I kept quite for most of the car drive. Mainly because of my headache but also because I was embarrassed about last night. I'm glad Hunter stopped me but it didn't make me feel less ashamed. He and I had been dating for nearly six months and I didn't know if it was drunk me wanting him or if I really did.

The worse thing that came out of this though is the fact that I love Hunter. It probably doesn't sound like a bad thing to happen but for me it was. The timing of this revelation couldn't have been worse and I surely wasn't going to tell him now considering how he refused me last night. I could just about handle that rejection but for him not to love me... I wouldn't be able to deal with that heartbreak.

But I also didn't know how it would change us. I didn't know if it would change how I would act around him or if maybe he could sense a difference as well. I hoped I wasn't being too obvious and I would be able to keep it to myself until I knew for a fact he felt the same.

Being in love and knowing you're in love after never feeling such a strong emotion before is like you've been woken up with cold ice. It comes so suddenly and you have no other choice but to notice that yes, you're in love.

Before my mind can wander even further Hunter speaks up, "What's caused that frown?"

"Hmm?" His voice was distant so I didn't pick up on exactly what he was asking.

"If you're thinking about last night..." these simple words caused my cheeks to flame and I'm sure Hunter noticed but he didn't mention it.

"I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, " I mumbled, "but, thank you..."

Hunter's head almost snapped when he turned to look at me, "You - you mean it?"

I rolled my eyes, "Nah, I'm just screwing with you..." I sighed, "Wrong choice of words."

This made Hunter laugh and I couldn't help but join in. He took one hand off the steering wheel and took mine, lifting it gently to his lips.

"You're something else, sweetheart." He smiled as he kissed my hand and never let go as he continued driving.

When I saw we were closer to my home town I felt a deep sadness. We passed posters for newspapers with the same headline as the one I saw on TV. Hunter could sense my uneasiness and moved his thumb in circles over my hand.

I suck in a deep breath when I see the yellow tape. I never knew they found her so close to the entrance of the town. Was she always so close? Were we just looking in the wrong place? The sudden flashback hits me immediately:

I'm walking around with a flash light in case I stay longer than I plan. It's been a month since my sister went missing and I've been leaving school everyday early to look for her. I don't think the school has told my mom yet; they probably feel bad for me, or they have told my mom and she appreciates the help. Although, now that I actually think about it, I don't think that she would be too happy with the fact that her nine year old daughter is searching the outskirts of town and the beginning of the forest. I find my eyes drooping, the sleepless nights finally catching up with me. I sit down in front of the wall announcing the entrance to our town. Within minutes after I close my eyes, I'm sound asleep.

Even though it's night I'm woken up by a shining light and a dark figure standing in front of me. I almost scream but the person in front of me screams at me before I can even make a sound, "EMILIA JENNIFER ANDERSON! YOU HAD ME WORRIED SICK! WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE!?"

"Mom?" I try move my head so that I'm not blinded by a flashlight.

"Oh, Em!" She jumped down and squeezed me into her arms, "Where have you been?"

"I'm sorry mom, I - " I take a deep breath and try to force the tears down but they come anyway, "I was trying to look for her... I thought she might be here..."

"I don't think she's here. We've already looked here twice... Come on, let's get you home." My mom also has tears in her eyes but her hands' wrapped around me so tightly while we walk back home.

"Emilia?"

"Emilia?" I find myself looking back at Hunter who has clearly been trying to get my attention for awhile considering he is using my full name. "Are you okay?"

"Stop the car."

"What?"

"I said stop the car." I'm already pulling on the door handle trying to get out even before Hunter has pulled over.

"Em, you can't - " I'm out of the car and closing the door even before he can finish that sentence.

I'm standing in front of the tape, not trying to cross it. I'm not sure why, I easily could. Instead I kneel in front of my sister's real grave.

I feel Hunter's hand on my shoulder but when I turn to look up at him it's my mom and she kneels down next to me, holding me in her tightest embrace. We sit like that for a while just silently crying. We both feel each other's pain and I'm almost sure we're both feeling the exact same heart wrenching pain.

"When - did - did you know before the news?" I manage to choke out.

She nods.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I pull back to look at her.

"You were so happy. I couldn't do that to you. I couldn't take away that happiness that you took so long to find again."

"I understand, mom." I hug her again and she kisses my forehead.

"Can I be honest with you?" My mom rested her head on mine. I sighed and then nodded.

"I think he has something to do with it." She jerked her head backwards.

I looked back to where Hunter, the boy who unknowingly has my heart, was leaning against his car and smiled.

And another update!!!! I didn't say in my previous authors note, sorry about the depressing chapter and topic. I had been hinting about some sort of case for awhile and I'm glad you all know what it's about now.

How you guys feeling about Emilia feeling about Hunter? Did you guys think Hunter feels the same? And leave a story you have in the comments about a time when you were ever in love, I'd really love (haha get it?) to read them.

Oh! And I also literally just came up with a middle name for Emilia... I don't know why but I just liked the name Jennifer today so I was like... Why not?

And I'm off to write the next chapter... So remember to vote, comment, follow and whatever you can do :')