Chapter 29

A few days later I was back in the alley like nothing ever happened. As a reward for helping me out I'd taken Tumnus for a little kitty rehabilitation. The vet had prescribed medication that was doing its part to clear whatever gunk was always pooling in the sides of his eyes and dripping down his nose. The groomers had managed to unmat his fur and give him a flea treatment--though I asked them to leave his claws unfiled.

     He lay reclined on the steps like a spoiled princess after I'd fed him, already very much used to being pampered. "Did I tell you I was sorry today? I am." He didn't pay me any mind.

     "So let me get this straight," Jackson stood next to me at the top of the stoop. "You threw a cat at the girl, then you hit her upside the head with some two-by-four?"

     "Pretty much."

     He shook his head. "See naw, that sounds like some bullshit. You too prissy. You wear flowery dresses and sparkly headbands and shit."

     "What's wrong with my bedazzled headbands?"

     "Nothing. You just too cute, and sweet, and suburban for all that. Do you even know how to make a fist? Did you windmill?"

     "This is why I'm grandma's favorite. You play too much."

     "Think about it, though. It wasn't even a fair fight. You had to jump ol' girl with a cat like he's your hood friend coming to back you up."

     I couldn't stop myself from laughing at that. "Well he did grow up on these streets."

     "Mmm hmm. Daddy left him. Fell in with a bad crowd. See that pattern on his coat. Looks like some kind of gang symbol." When he looked over I tried my best to force a smile but came up just short enough for him to say, "You okay? You seem a little--"

     "I'm fine."

     He stared at me a moment but decided not to push it. "So, don't get excited or nothing but I been thinking about going to cooking school."

     "That sounds about right."

     "Yeah?" His usually hard exterior cracked open for just a second and his eyes lit up like an excited child. I didn't realize my opinion mattered so much to him. "I looked it up and they do that at the community college. So I thought, you know, I'm always cooking all the time anyway."

     "Any kitchen would be lucky to have you."

     "You think I could?" There was a certain pleading in his voice.

     "I know you could."

     He smiled again before he remembered he was supposed to be a life hardened cynic and went back to mean-muggin' as if the big dope had walked out of prison yesterday. "Good 'cause you know that minimum wage you paying me ain't shit."

     "I'm paying you above minimum wage."

     "Really? Shiiieeet."

     "Jackson, get back to work."

     For once he didn't fight me. He just smiled. "You're the boss lady."

     I watched him walk back through the door and disappear before I fully let my guard down. I closed my eyes for a moment and tried to refocus my thoughts on making it to the end of the day. When I was ready I took a deep breath, then walked back inside as if everything really was fine.

     The world kept spinning and the hours ticked by until the sun started its slow descent. I was just about to wipe down the counters when bell above the door jingled.