Chapter 2

I love Korean-American weddings. I think it’s the unpredictability that draws me in. Because before Henry started bringing me to these things, weddings in my world were monotonous and dull.

            Bride walks down the aisle, preacher says stuff, the rings, light the unity candle, or drink the whatever wine, or jump the broom. Introducing Mr. and Mrs. So and So. Applause. Applause. Reception. I dreaded the predictability of such events.

            But can you blame me when in my hood, walking down the aisle to Luther Vandross is practically martial law. Hell, I thought the wedding march was just some Hollywood myth until I was like twenty-five. I thought ‘Here and Now’ was the wedding march and that one they play in all those movies just some chords the organist decided to throw together at the last minute.

            Then when I was twelve, the Cho’s brought me to Soo-Min’s wedding, and boom! Colorful Costumes, envelopes full of money, tiny tables, tea ceremonies, chestnuts, wooden ducks…

            And nobody’s ever really told me what the wooden ducks are about. I only know that they are awesome, and therefore justified.

            The best part though, is that the weddings are usually a mix of the two. The best (and sometimes worst) of both worlds.

            Will there be a white gown or a hanbok? Don’t know. Will the bride be walked down the aisle by her father? No clue. Will they do the Pyebaek ceremony? Who knows? Will there be a reception? Couldn’t tell you. Will there be wooden ducks? If there is a God.

            That’s the beauty of these fusion weddings. Each one is so distinctive and unique to the bride and groom. I never feel like I’m at the same wedding twice.

            “Are you going to stay mad at me the rest of the night?” Henry asked me.

            “The rest of the night? I’m going to be mad at you for the rest of our lives.”

            “Shit, hold a grudge why don’t you.”

            “I’m actually thinking about disinviting you to the party on Thursday.”

            “Come one Evie. You know Grandma Sophie would never forgive you if you forgot to bring me along.”

            True enough. I’ve long suspected my grandma loves Henry more than me.

            “Fine. But you still fucked up.”

            He shushed me. “There are children like three feet away from you.” He leaned close to me. “But yeah, I did fuck up.”

            “What happened?”

            “I tried to break up with her, I did. But she got weird on me then I-“

            “Chickened out.”

            “Yep. Forgive me?”

            “I suppose I have no choice. It takes too long to break in a new best friend anyway. But you owe me.”

            “I can live with that.”

            Jenna came back from the ladies room. “Did I miss anything?”

            Han and Lauren were kneeled in front of a square cloth covered table, a teapot in Han’s hands as he poured wine into the cup that Lauren held. Han passed two cups over to the opposite side of the table were Papa and Mama Cho were sitting. They took a drink. Lauren and Han held out the white cloth. Then the Cho’s tossed chestnuts into the cloth. Han and Lauren caught them all. Everyone cheered.