F O U R

CHAPTER 4

HARRY

I feel my heartbeat accelerate and my body fumbles up on the bed. My eyes wide, I clench my hand around my phone, wanting to her speak more.

"What? No... It's Gemma," the voice utters and my heart falls. It's not Claire.

"Gemma," my voice breaks with the intense disappointment. My breaths consume me and I have to restrain myself not to lose it with Gemma on the phone.

"Are you alright?" Gemma asks, and I'm reminded that she doesn't know that Claire is gone. The only people that know is Louis and I. But when the case is released to the press, I'm betting everyone will.

"No," I admit, my head spinning from the sudden effect of the alcohol.

Gemma has never met Claire. Few people from my life have met Claire, in fact. Including my family. I wasn't ready to share her with anyone. And now I don't know If I'll ever be able to.

My family does know about her through, and I should probably tell Gemma.

"Claire, she is missing," I speak, and I hear her gasp ver the phone, forming a lump in my throat. It's all becoming more real than I can bare.

"Oh god... What happened?" She asks, and I have to close my eyes to be able to speak the words.

"She was taken... by Zayn Malik," I say, and I hear her gasp once more. She knows about the story with her and him, the whole world does. And I let her get taken by that monster.

"Harry, I'm so sorry," she utters, and I nod, choking back the crumbling feeling.

"What were you calling about?" I try to get off the topic, because I don't know what I'll do if I'll have to talk about it more.

"Oh... I just called to talk, you haven't been in England for months," she says.

That's true. I actually meant to go back after we recorded the last album, and spend time with my family. But then I met Claire and nothing felt more important or enjoyable than just live with her here and never leave her sight.

Gemma's voice doesn't really sound similar to Claire's, but I must've wanted it to be her so badly that I fooled myself. My heart beats in a more steady motion, my body slowly regaining feeling.

"I know... I'll visit soon, with Claire once she's with me again," I try to convince myself. She has to come back. I have to find her. But how?

"Gemma, I have to go!" I jump out of the bed, searching for my pants once I think of the security tape of the elevator. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I'll just bring the tapes into the police, to show them it was Zayn and end their stupid suspicions that I did it. I hang up the phone before waiting for a goodbye and grab a shirt after i button the jeans. I get into my office and eject the disc from my computer, and get to the elevator. I message Paul to get the car ready, and he's already there once I get out of the building.

He starts driving and I hold the disc tightly, staring down at it as Paul parks in the parking lot of the police station. I get out, tucking my hand into my jacket pockets, the other over my forehead to prevent any picture to show my face.

"I need to speak with someone who's working on the Claire Tomlinson abduction case," I say to the receptionist, pointing my finger firmly on the counter. She smiles lightly, nodding.

"About?" She asks as she picks up the phone resting beside her.

"I have a lead," I utter after clearing my throat. My heart beats fast, anxious for the tape to be handed over. And now they can focus on finding Zayn, and with that, find Claire.

"One moment Sir," she nods, and dials. She mumbles something closely into the phone, and a few moments later, a man steps out of the elevator to my right. He walks decidedly towards me, and greets me with a handshake.

"Mr. Styles, please follow me into my office."

After the awkward silence in the elevator, I sit calmly down on the hard chair opposite his desk. I lay the disc on the surface, and he stares at it for s few seconds.

"What is this?" he asks, pointing to it.

"Security tapes from the elevator from my building, proving that Zayn Malik abducted Claire Tomlinson," I say in one go, inhaling sharply afterwards. I feel my body fall under my control again, feeling helpful. I know I can help them find her. But he continues his uncertain stare, making me nervous once again.

"How did you come across this?" He finally asks, not daring to pick it up. I... Forced the receptionist to hand it over. My heart jumps as I think; does that complicate it as evidence?

"I... got it from my receptionist," I exhale, a streak of concern in my voice. His eyes widen, shaking it lightly afterwards.

"I can't bring this in," he says, shrugging as he closes his eyes with disappointment.

"What?"

"We need a warrant," he reveals, laying his palms down on the desk, pushing the disc away. My pain turns into rage once more, and the blissful feeling of control vanishes in a second.

"So then get a warrant!" I raise my voice.

"We'll try, but the fact that it is in your custody may complicate things," he explains, fourthly sending trembling pulses through me. Fuck.

I am sure that if I stay here one more second, I will completely lose it. Unlike last time, I had a twinge of hope. But I ruined my chances, once again. I breathe deeply, and watch his distressed expression as I turn away. I feel my heartbeat consume me, and I leave the disc behind. It's no use to me, and at least it won't be in my custody.

"We will do anything we can to f-" I hear his voice before I close the door behind me, walking out.

Paul waits for me on the parking lot, and all I can seem to think on the way home is; I've failed her again.

The chances of finding her just became significantly smaller and it is my fault. If I had just kept my cool and done things properly, the police would have proof. And now I, along with them, have been left with nothing. No progress.

I collapse on the bed once I get back, wanting just for this feeling to stop. And I know; the only way of that happening, is if she is returned safely to me again.

CLAIRE

Fear.

A/N

Heeeeyyy sorry for the late update!

Did you like this chapter?

See you in the next one<3

PS: HOW DO I HAVE 50K READS ON THIS ALREADY? ily xx