F O U R T Y O N E

CHAPER 41

CLAIRE

The text is accompanied with a picture of a map of Riverside Park, a red dot pinpointing where he wants me to meet him.

I blink twice, staring at the message, and the Z makes my insides churn with anxiety. My fingers start trembling, my grip on the phone loosening. I knew Zayn had Michael, but this makes it that more real. My lungs deflate of air as my face pales, unable to look away. This is a threat. If I don't meet him tonight, Michael will die.

It makes me lose balance, and I struggle to stand upright, making Niall stand up from the couch.

"Claire! What is going on?" he shouts as he makes his way over to me. I lock the phone before he is able to read the text, and he grabs my arm, making sure I don't fall down.

"Nothing, I'm okay I just got light headed for a second," I lie, trying my best to force a smile. It takes a few seconds for Niall's look of worry to melt away, and he lets me go as I find balance again. He strokes my back and I shake my head to reassure him.

My eyes lock on the digital clock under the television. It's 7PM. +60 minutes till' I have to meet Zayn in Riverside Park. I look up at Niall's blue eyes and I can't help but wonder if I'll ever come back to those eyes.

I take a breath and Niall shows an uncertain squint in his eyes. What do I do? Zayn said to come alone. And there's no way that'll happen if Niall or Harry sees that text. I can't tell them.

"Come sit down," he soothes, leading me over the couch. I do as he says, sitting down right next to him. He puts his arm around me, holding me tightly.

"It's gonna be alright, Claire," he whispers into my ear, but it doesn't comfort me at all. The only way for it to be alright is if I meet Zayn in an hour. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do everything to save Michael.

"I know," I say. Because I have already made up my mind. I am meeting Zayn.

"Can we get out of here?" I ask, leaning into his chest. By the time we get back to the hotel, it will be 7:30. That should give me enough time to find a way to sneak out of Niall's hotel room without him noticing.

"Of course," he lets out a relieved sigh, lifting me up with him.

"I just... have to say goodbye to Harry first," I say, backing away from his arms around me. He lets me go, nodding slightly with a displeased glance. He walks to the elevator.

"See you downstairs," he smiles weakly, pressing the button as I walk to the office.

I knock twice, but I hear no response, so I let myself in. He stands leaning towards the window, his arms placed firmly on the bottom of the window frame. His head turns towards me, and he stands upright. His shirt has a total of three buttons buttoned, and his jeans are low on his hips.

I see that his eye sockets are sore, and his back crouches slightly. He has a sturdy body, but somehow I've managed to weaken it by not loving him. And now I'm leaving him once more. Will I ever be able to forgive myself for hurting him like I have?

"Har-" I start, but he abruptly moves towards me, holding my voice.

"Are you leaving?" He asks, inches away from me.

"Yes," I say, and his shoulders lower. He closes his eyes for a second, and I expect there to be a tear, but he must be all dried up. He has cried far too many tears than what he deserves.

I place my hand on either side of his shoulders, holding him. I look into those green eyes of his, and I am preparing myself to leave them forever.