T W E N T Y T W O

CHAPTER 22

CLAIRE

His lips surround mine, laced with the overwhelming feeling of desperation. His hand pressed tightly against my waist, his other holding my neck intensely. I soon taste the burning alcohol stained on his tongue, and I push him away.

"What the hell!" I say, my hand on his chest, holding him at distance. He stares into me with bold eyes, with no regret in them.

"I love you," he breathes heavily, almost out of breath.

I feel my every muscle stiffen as the three words come out of his mouth. The sound absorbs into my chest and every molecule of oxygen leaves my lungs.

"You what?" My dried throat wheezes, and his frantic body moves in to kiss me again.

"Niall!" I stop, backing away from him. He runs his fingers through his hair, brushing down the strand that were pointing in every direction.

"I love you! Ah and I know I'm being selfish, but I have to tell you! You have to know, I love you." He desperately cites, taking my hand. He brings me closer, and I'm too distraught to even think of resisting.

"How--I mean... When, or... wh-" My words tangle as they fumble out of my mouth, and I feel my heart rise to my throat. What the hell is going on?

"There is so much you don't know about what happened in California, Claire... I spent so much time trying to convince myself that I had moved on, but I couldn't!" He stresses heavily, clenching his hand tightly around mine. I catch my breath, sharply inhaling as I feel myself get dizzy.

"Were we...?" I ask, millions of thoughts swirling in my mind. His eyes widen and a strained smile appears on him, pressing my hand to his chest.

"Yes, we were! Harry hurt you so much Claire, you don't even know. Ah! I just couldn't stand the thought of you and him on a date tonight, I needed to tell you." Niall's eyes boil with contemplation, his body quivering, seemingly from the alcohol. My heart sits in my throat, and I'm worried about how I'm reacting.

I feel my pulse race by his eyes looking into mine, and I forget to take a breath as I get lost in them.

I feel my head shake before I realize I'm doing it, taken aback by his words.

"No," I mutter, stepping back.

"Clair-"

"No!" I shout, pushing his hands away.

His eyes weaken and a cold shiver runs through my body as I step further back.

"I have to go," I say and turn away. I don't hear another sound from him as I walk away, getting into the elevator again. I press the the button to take me up to the flat again, and the doors slide shut as I give him a final glance. He stands unsteadily, with a slight slouch in his back as his bloodshot eyes close, pressing out another tear. I don't know if I'm angry, or scared of the feelings that arose from that kiss.

As I stand alone in the elevator, I'm left wondering; what the hell happened in California?

I run my hands through my hair and I try to process what just happened. Niall loves me, Harry loves me... Apparently I whored around big time in LA.