F O U R T Y

CHAPTER 40

HARRY

I stare intently at the receipt, listing the various drugs that Zayn purchased a few days ago. Claire told me that he most likely made a powerful tranquilizer with other illegal drugs, and used it on Michael at the airport.

I'm finding it hard to think about how Claire will leave once I finish helping her. If Zayn can abduct someone at one of the highest security places in the world, how am I supposed to stop him from getting to her outside of the apartment? I... can't.

I have tried my best to act calm and collected, but my palm twitches every two seconds, and I want more than anything to kick Niall the hell out of our apartment. This is Claire and I's apartment. It always will be.

When she asked me for help, there was no question in my mind on what I was going to do. I would've done anything to make her crying stop. It blows my mind how she still has the strength to push forward, considering all that she's been through. She is the strongest woman I know.

She is still in danger, but she prioritizes her best friend over anything. I don't think much of Michael, but he doesn't deserve this. No one does.

"Can you hurry up so I can get Claire out of here?" Niall breathes, crossing his arms behind me. I fight the urge to stand up and punch his neck.

"Well, he paid in cash, so there is no way to track his further purchases," I explain, opening up the laptop laid in front of me.

"Then what the fuck are we still doing here? If you can't help her, we're out of here," he says, and I frown and turn around. He seems a little more stressed than he should be. But I get it. As much as I hate the fact, he does love Claire.

"I'm gonna identify the illegal drugs that Zayn had to have purchased," I say, turning away from him again. I search up recipes for the most common tranquilizers, my eyes shifting between the screen and a piece of paper where I write it all down.

"If we know which illegal drugs he has bought, we can find select drug dealers in New York City that sell them," I say, looking at the clock in the top corner of the screen. Claire will be out of the office any minute.

"Are you crazy? That's illegal!" Niall says, and I roll my eyes. I turn around, looking him right in the eye.

"Does it look like I give a fuck?"

"If we find which drug dealer he bought from, we can turn them in and get information on Zayn's whereabouts, alright?" I scoff, slicking my hair back as I continue writing the potential leads onto the notepad.

"How's it going?" I hear her voice as she walks out of the office. Behind her walks William, who puts on his jacket after I walk over and pay him for the session.

"It's going good, we're finding some good leads from the receipt," Niall says, putting his arm around her. My gut twists as I see him kiss her temple, without so much as a second thought. I remember when I could do that, and have her smile back at me.

And we're finding good leads? Niall has done nothing but complain and bitch about the whole situation.

I don't know exactly where Niall and Claire are right now. Are they together? Is Niall just being friendlier than appropriate? I catch myself staring, making Claire's eyes turn uncomfortable. Does she really want nothing to do with me?

I can't even imagine living the rest of my life without Claire. Something that once felt so certain, suddenly turned so unlikely. She chose me the first time she had to choose between Niall and I. But now... I just don't know.