Little Talks

It was an uncomfortable car ride back to Jackson's house, the tension in the air was almost palpable. The radio had been playing silently and neither teen spoke. Words couldn't fix what was happening, or what had already happened. Though eventually Jackson decided to try anyways.

Every time he would open his mouth Maya would raise the volume on the radio. The originally quiet music was now blaring out of the speakers. Not that Maya minded, the loud noise helped to keep her mind from drifting to Scott- she still hadn't heard from him.

Now and again, Jackson would glance at the brunette driving from the corner of his eye. She was biting her lip and staring straight ahead at the road with her fingers tapping out the beat of the song. The teen couldn't help but stress over the fact that it was all his fault. If only I hadn't  followed Derek, then we wouldn't be in this mess, then she wouldn't hate me Jackson thought remorsefully, but once again there was no undoing his mistake.

The car finally finally pulled up in front of Jackson's house. None of the lights were on, his parents already asleep and unaware of what almost happened to Jackson. Maya unlocked the door, waiting for him to get out of her car.

"Maya-"

She shook her head and gestured towards his house. "No, we're not doing this. I told you that you had one chance and you wasted it. Now get out of my car."

Jackson reached over and turned off the radio. "No."

Maya was fuming, not believing that he would have the audacity to treat her like this after what had just happened tonight. She'd forgotten her anger in the woods because she had been worried, but the drive had given her time to build up the resentment again.

"Look, I know that anything I say right now can't fix the stupid things I did and said-" Jackson started to say.

Maya cut him, "No it can't, so I suggest you get out of my damn car before you make things worse."

"No, I need you to hear this Maya." Jackson pleaded, something he wasn't used to doing. She rolled her eyes, but nodded so he could continue. "Everything in my life always been handed to me, I've always had it easy. Then you come into my life and you just changed everything. You looked at me in a way no one else did, you actually cared about me and not the fact I was captain of the lacrosse team or how much money my family has. You didn't worship the ground I walked on or throw yourself at my feet. You challenged me and opened up my eyes. It scared me and I didn't know what to do when you brought out a side of me that I didn't understand. But I want to understand, I want it to be you that helps me understand it. I know I've messed up, I can't take that back . But I'm asking you for a second chance that I don't deserve because I can't lose you Maya."

Jackson stared at her, hoping for something, for any reaction. Maya kept her face down, knowing that her eyes would betray her. "Just because you think you care about me doesn't mean what you've been doing isn't wrong. The things you've done to Scott? Risking your life to become a werewolf? How can you expect me to look passed that." Maya's voice was soft, she didn't trust her words.

"The bite, it means that I'm stronger and faster. That I'm better that what I am right now." He reached over an grabbed Maya's hand slowly, hoping she wouldn't pull away. "It means I can keep you safe. I don't think I care about you, I know that I do Maya. Being able to protect you, make sure you're safe? Getting the bite means that I won't let you get hurt ever again."

It felt nice to hold his hand again, not something Maya was proud to admit to herself. She wished she didn't feel anything, but her heart was overruling her brain and she couldn't stop it. What she was feeling right now, she wanted it to stop, but it was too late to fight it anymore. She didn't want to fight it anymore, she just wanted to give into the feelings she'd been holding back for so long. Biting her lip, Maya peered into Jackson's eyes. "I don't need you to protect me Jackson. Becoming a werewolf isn't some magical gift that's going to make me fall for you. I like you, the human you."

"Please, Maya. Don't give up on me." He leaned in closer to her, "One more chance, that's all I'm asking."

"Don't take the bite-" Jackson started to interrupt her, but Maya shushed him. "Don't take the bite and you can have one last chance. Stop trying to be a werewolf and we can give this," she gestured between them "a chance. I care about you Jackson, but I can't keep watching you go down this path. I've seen where it leads and what it's done to Scott, it's not something you want."

It amazed Jackson that one look from Maya had him wanting to agree to anything. Willing to do whatever it took to finally have her after all this time of them dancing around each other, coming so close but never actually happening. As much as he wanted to be a werewolf- to be better than Scott- he wanted Maya more. "Okay, I won't take the bite."

Maya leaned in closer, their noses practically touching. "Promise me."

"I promise you, Maya. I swear that I'll stop trying to become a werewolf." Jackson declared softly, getting lost in the brown eyes gazing at him so hopefully.

She grinned, closing the distance between them slowly, "Good." Kissing him softly, Maya felt like this kiss was real. The last time it was in the heat of the moment and there were so many obstacles between them, but now it was just them and nothing else. Though there was a twinge of guilt, for all she knew, Scott was out in the woods dying while she was kissing Jackson. But she wanted to believe that the werewolf was okay so she pushed the worrisome thoughts from her mind. Pulling away slightly, Maya smiled at Jackson fondly as she rubbed her thumb across his cheek. "Now you actually have to get out of my car. I have a resentful little brother waiting for me to come home." 

Jackson kissed her one more time before getting out of the car and heading inside his house. Silently walking into his room, Jackson flopped onto his bed, not bothering to even change out of his clothes. It seemed so surreal to him now that it was over, almost too good to be true. But there was no way he would question how he got lucky enough to get another chance with Maya. However it happened, Jackson wouldn't screw up this time.

..........................

If only it were that simple, but that's a problem for next season. But at least for now you can enjoy Jaya actually being kind of happy for a little while. Plus now we're so close to the end of season one. Hold on to your seats because things are going to be getting kinda crazy!