XVII: Strange Request

The students are given three weeks to prepare everything that they need for the International Exposition, which is a week-long event held at the end of November each year. All classes are cancelled, but everyone is busier than ever. Teachers and other faculty members would be judging the students’ performances and exhibits; giving them corresponding marks depending on the complexity and success of their projects. It was considered to be the most important affair for the entire school year.   

The wide, open campus field is the preferred venue because of its space and convenience: it’s located right at the heart of the academy; with all the other buildings and structures encircling it. The Technical department had already started setting up their different booths and displays for the event; its members running back and forth, hammering and welding pieces into place.

Jasper, Barbara, and Coco were looking out from the balcony of the boys’ dormitory. Since there would be no more classes, all three of them were in their most comfortable casual attires. Barbara stood in the middle of the two boys, sipping a milkshake.

“When are we going to set-up our tournament?” asked Jasper.

“Relax man…we have time” replied Coco lazily.

“What he means is…we still couldn’t decide on a venue. We already have a theme and all – it’s just a matter of putting everything together” said Barbara.

Jasper continued to look across the open field and noticed a smaller structure in the distance. It looked similar to the Middle School Division, but was farther away.

“What’s that smaller building over there?” he pointed to them.

“Oh, that’s the Elementary Division. It’s one of the smaller buildings in the academy. That whole thing holds the classrooms and dormitories. I think they only have about fifty students or so…” explained Coco.

Jasper seemed to be considering something for a minute before speaking up again.

“Hey guys…what if we hold our tournament in there…?”

Barbara and Coco looked at each other, and then at him.

“Hmmm…”

“Well…I don’t think that’s a bad idea…” said Coco, deep in thought.

“You mentioned that it was going to be a spy-themed battle, right? Well…what if we commission the Elementary Division to act it out with us? Let’s pretend that there’s a terrorist hostage situation: half of us could be the bad guys and the other half would be the good guys”

Jasper smiled at them when he finished. When there wasn’t a response, his face fell. But Coco suddenly slapped him hard on the back, laughing hard. Barbara giggled as she finished her milkshake.

“Awesome idea, dude! How’d you come up with that? And we thought you were slow…”

“My boyfriend’s brilliant, isn’t he?” she put an arm around his waist.

“Uh. Barbara, we talked about this. I’m not your - ”

“Shut up!”

She quickly stood on her toes and gave him a hard kiss, while Coco gave a low whistle and looked away.

*

Only one more week before the Expo, and almost all the preparations were done. Mrs. Green, head teacher of the Elementary Division, has agreed to let the students participate with the Weapons and Security department’s tournament. They were all present that afternoon, working side by side with the ecstatic children.