XIX: Red and Black

“Lights, ready? Alright, man your stations and wait for my cue! Everyone listen up: this is not a drill so fight with your life – got it?!”

“Ready when you are!”

Orders were being shouted throughout the main hall of the Elementary Division as the minutes tick away to opening hour. Barbara was floor manager and had been pacing on top of the steel walkway they had built; running high above the two separate balconies filled with chairs and covered in clear fiber glass. Coco was wearing headphones which he used to communicate to the actors and actresses below; while the other half of the team assembled in their respective black wooden booths for lights, sounds, and explosive effects. The hall was empty except for the participants, but the air was already thick.

Jasper stood at one end of the huge hall, together with three other actors who would be playing the part of CIA agents. He would casually give Barbara a smile or two from where he was, but she would simply give him a cold look. It doesn’t bother him as much as a ‘certain girl’ does, but it was effective enough. He looked across the room at the few elementary students who would be acting with them that day: Sinan was persuading Greg to let him try the steel cables for the flying scenes; while pretty Hana obediently sat with Mrs. Green, who was styling her hair. The rest of the kids were either bouncing up and down on the chairs, or playing with the souvenirs they bought at the Technical department booths. A tiny robotic mantis was battling it out with a centipede not far from Jasper.

“Okay people, settle down – we’re on in ten!” Coco’s voice boomed from the walkway.

Everyone looked up and nodded.

Soon enough, the giant wooden double doors flew open and in came the CEO’s, ambassadors, their bodyguards, the academy students and teachers, and the Principal students. The VIP’s were led by Ilse and Marko to the front row seats, leaving two chairs empty – one for the President and one for the academy Principal. Jasper watched as the upstairs balconies brimmed with people, their eyes eager. Even with the glass separating them from the audience, he could hear their anticipation as clearly as his own breathing.

“Oh my God, there’s Jasper! The one I told you about!”

“Is that the guy who challenged Alice?”

“Hey, where is she? I haven’t seen her in days!”

“Wow…he looks so handsome in that suit!!!”

“I wonder what she’s going to wear!”

He suddenly felt nauseous.

“Hey, man! Ready?”

It was Greg Fielding, holding out a 9mm to him and grinning from ear to ear. Jasper smiled and took the gun from him, checked the magazine, then put it in the hidden holster inside his jacket. Greg looked impressed as he watched Jasper go over the motions of handling the gun.

“You’ve gone a long way…”

“Thanks to Barbara and Coco. Couldn’t have done it without them” Jasper admitted without hesitation.

Greg nodded and proceeded to go upstairs and man his position at the special effects booth. Jasper sighed nervously and glanced at the right balcony, where the VIP’s were seated. Just then, the President arrived with his secretary and sat on one of the empty seats in the front row; only the Principal’s seat was now empty. Jasper scanned the line of wrinkled faces, with their carefully combed hair and impassive eyes. He frowned as he thought he saw someone familiar; but shook his head.

It couldn’t be…Impossible!

A loud siren sounded, and Coco’s voice boomed from the speakers.