XXV: Mutiny

Five Keepers at ten o’ clock.

Wes turned to his left and fired five successive rounds from the tranquilizer gun. It had been specifically designed by the Weapons Division a few years ago – a unique rifle containing bullets with tranquilizing liquid. He frowned and drank the remaining contents of a canister chained to his belt. Each of them (including his twin, Sofie, Greg, and Ilse) agreed to drink the strange stuff designed to sharpen their senses. It looked like any other power drink – but in only a matter of seconds, your hearing, eyesight, and thinking all sharpen as adrenaline coursed through your veins. Wes scowled as his ears detected footsteps. Someone was helping the Keepers get past the Illusion traps he and Charlie set up around the Iceberg. Whoever it was: it was either a really strong Telepath, or…He shook his head and concentrated on his surroundings.

No, we can’t let these bastards get into the Sub Levels.

His shoulder bumped against his twin, making Charlie turn around and give him a thumbs up. Wes nodded and extended his free hand.

The immaculate white upper lobby of the Iceberg changed into a huge garden filled with ten-foot tall hedges. The ceiling became a dark sky crowded with ominous clouds. Thunder rolled in the distance, and a few ravens flew overhead. It was like being in a totally different world…Wes smiled to himself upon inspecting his work. It was one of their more ‘refined’ Illusion techniques – once used during a mission to retrieve a kidnapped ambassador. A normal human would get himself lost in the maze and never come out. Or worse – lose his mind. But they both knew the Keepers were not exactly…normal. Most of them were once academy students. A few coming from S.A..

He heard Charlie whistle behind him and a strong wind blew in their direction. A few cries and gunshots echoed somewhere to their far right.

“What traps did you set up?” asked Wes, his pale blue eyes sparkling with curiosity.

“Venomous snakes…wild bears…a sphinx. The usual” shrugged Charlie.

They were silent for a while, listening to screams and more shots inside the hedge maze they created. Without warning, flames ripped through the dark sky, heat washing over them as they recovered from the shock of the force punching them. The ground shook slightly, the air suddenly thick and warm. Wes pointed his gun upward, narrowing his eyes and holding his breath as small bits of debris fell from the ceiling. Keeping both feet firmly on the ground, he concentrated all his energy in maintaining the visions. Another explosion, this time, hit Wes like a truck and left him skidding uncontrollably across the floor.

His eyes widened as he realized the Illusions had been shattered. Literally. Wes instinctively sought the lobby for his brother, keeping the gun close to his body. The entire room was now heavy with smoke, and he coughed a little to expel some from his lungs. As he got back on his feet, a shock from his shoulder paralyzed him. Was this from the fall? Wes jogged as he searched for any signs of Charlie, making sure that he kept close to the walls in case Keepers were on his tail. Squinting through the gray hot smoke, Wes was shocked to find numerous hazy shadows lurking around him. Suddenly, shots rang from all sides, zipping past his ears. He ducked quickly and used his arms to crawl on the floor.

“Charlie! Dammit, where are you?!” he yelled above the noise.

His earpiece buzzed, but he barely heard it.

Seal 2 calling for Interceptor 1 – we’re in Sub terrain Level 5. I repeat – we’re on Level 5” it was Jasper.

Beads of sweat trickled slowly from his forehead, but he kept on crawling. Wes felt his biceps burn from the effort, but he needed to stay down until he could find an opening for an attack. With the combination of heat, flying bullets, and sheer terror, Jasper’s message hardly registered in his mind. His twin was still nowhere to be found.