XXIII: Promises

Alice wiped the blood from the side of her mouth as she tried to stand up. But before she could even do so, thin metal wires entwined around her, wrapping itself forcefully over her body. A soft buzzing noise filled the room and she fell again on the floor, cringing in pain.

“You want to try 850 volts, Alice? You know as well as I am that you can’t teleport in that condition”

She was inside his dimly lit office again, the room occupied by several of Spencer’s men. Gunther Price was lazily leafing through a book on his desk, ignoring the sight before him. After a few minutes, he sighed loudly.

“Stop it, Pratt. Don’t hurt her too much” he commanded.

Gunther Price stood up and walked towards Alice’s shaking body, the carpet around her spattered with blood. He shook his head before reaching a hand to her, tucking strands of her limp hair behind an ear.

“Do you really wish to die, my Alice? First, you go losing my valuable present. Then, I hear all this talk of treason behind my back and helping a student escape the academy. And finally – going to unapproved locations? Tsk tsk. What were you doing there, my Darling? Have you forgotten what will happen to your friends should you run away…?”

Gunther’s voice was soft, like a lover to his sweetheart. But Alice’s condition only allowed her to moan and whimper. He sighed as he walked over to Spencer Pratt, head of the academy Security Unit – also known as the ‘Keepers’.

“Go easy on her, Pratt. Remember: she’s precious”

“Won’t be easy. She’s stubborn” smirked Spencer, looking down at Alice with malevolent eyes.

Do remember that I’m her owner – not you. Her life belongs to me. If I hear again that you’re punishing her severely without my consent…”

Principal Price didn’t finish his sentence, but instead held a hand on Spencer’s shoulder. He shuddered as a small flame flickered under Gunther’s palm, scorching his suit. The Principal simply laughed before ordering them out of the room. Once they were alone, Gunther pointed to the metal straps around Alice’s body. A quick burst of flame appeared at one of its ends, snapping the cords. She was already unconscious, her arms and legs drooping lifelessly. He slowly took her in his arms and carried her to the sofa. Principal Price studied her pale features for a moment, an evil grin spreading across his handsome face.

You belong only to me. You, and that boy…

*      

It’s been three days since the Christmas Ball, and students were once again busy with New Year preparations. They were helping the faculty and staff of the academy as they cleaned the halls and grounds, and their own dormitories. Town Square was filled with all kinds of souvenirs and delectable food to set a festive atmosphere.

Jasper and Alice’s last dance was still the talk around campus, much to Barbara’s annoyance. She was on the dance floor that evening, looking for Jasper, when she saw them dancing and felt utterly betrayed. She pushed her way among the crowd to take Jasper away, but Mikael had beaten her to it. With a number of girls hovering around Jasper, Barbara had broken up with him on the spot. What infuriated her most about the whole situation was that, he was not the least bit upset about it. In fact, the entire act has made Alice and Jasper an ‘unofficial couple’ amongst students.

This gossip even overshadowed Marko’s proposal to Ilse before the Last Dance ended. With the entire academy as witness, Marko knelt on one knee and offered a gold ring to a surprised Ilse. With tears in her shining eyes, all she could do was nod as Marko lovingly slid the ring on her finger. Jasper wasn’t sure, but he thought he saw something engraved inside it. He cheered loudly with the others as the couple embraced. With the dance ending on a high note, Jasper’s eyes still roamed the hall, hoping to find Alice around. But she had disappeared along with Mikael.