XXVI: Revelations

“Alice! What’s wrong?!”

Jasper’s body rolled on the wet cold floor before bumping hard against something hard and metal. He coughed a few times and inhaled deeply; forcing his arms to carry his weight as he stood up. He was still feeling lightheaded from the teleport, so he grabbed at whatever his hand could reach to steady himself. Yelling? Someone was yelling some feet away. Jasper staggered to the source of the noise while shaking his head and letting his eyes adjust to the dimness in the room.

He paused midway - half in disbelief, half in sheer realization.

Mikael was crouched beside Alice’s body on the floor, her figure twisted in some form of pain as she hugged her stomach. There was a small puddle of blood near her mouth, and it looked like she was coughing up more of it.

“Alice! Stay with me. Stay with me. Stay with me…”

Jasper watched frozen as Mikael fumbled for his black rectangular kit, spilling its contents on the floor. He was looking for a small glass vial – like the one he had earlier, which contained the mysterious liquid that made Alice wake up from suspension. He found it and hurriedly forced Alice to drink whatever was inside it. There was gurgling noises, crying, then faint whimpering. Jasper suddenly felt short of breath as terror clawed its way into his stomach. Instinctively, he shuddered at the chilly air around them while his eyes took in their surroundings.

We’re still in Sub Zero. We teleported but we never left. We never left…Why?!

“W-What h-happened…?” he stammered, his eyes locked on the bluish soft light from the hallway. It was scarier now than it was before.

Mikael gently cradled Alice in his arms as she continued to sob and clutch at her bandaged wound. Jasper heard him whisper something in Bulgarian before answering.

They’re here. The traitor’s here – in Sub Zero. They’ve managed to ‘manipulate’ Alice’s mind before the transport to prevent the escape. She’s in pain… Prepare yourself, Jasper”

It took only several seconds after Mikael uttered those fateful words before a loud explosion from the hallway blasted hot greenish flames inside the room. Everything shook from the unexpected force, sending pieces of concrete and tiles flying in the air. Mikael swiftly wrapped his own body against Alice, shielding her from the scorching heat and debris. Jasper let himself fall on the ground while his hands covered the back of his head for protection. But he still felt some of the warm sharp pieces puncture his exposed skin, creating fresh wounds. It was soon over; the eerie silence mixed with soft thumping sounds of falling fragments.

It didn’t last long though, as Jasper’s ears heard heavy footsteps approach them from the hallway. With his body in pain and shock, he still willed himself to sit up. He winced upon forcing his limbs to cooperate, his heartbeat trying to keep up with each movement. More footsteps, voices, shouting, running.

Breathe, Jasper. Find Alice and Mikael – make sure they’re alright.

In his hazy vision, he saw numerous Keepers surrounding them from all sides. Each wore the same black gear and goggles Jasper saw them in back at the Principal Student Headquarters. They carried unfamiliar firearms which looked custom-made and threatening. He held his breath as he tried to stand up; but a Keeper struck him hard behind his knees, making him fall back to the ground with a cry. Jasper felt large pairs of hands grab at his arms, dragging his body across the wet floor and finally throwing him against a metal wall. With his mind preoccupied with pain, he still heard Mikael and Alice’s screams a couple of feet away.

“Stop it! Don’t hurt him!!! I’ll come with you! Just let them go!” her voice was frantic.

Faint buzzing noises echoed eerily around the room, followed by Mikael’s hysterical shouts.