Invisible

You could see the shape of his body, in the light of the rising Sun. The way his broad shoulders moved with each move he made and how after every few digs, he'd wipe his sweat dripping forehead with the back of his hand.

You did this quite often, as both of you woke before early dawn. And went outside in the beginning of morning, as the Sun was just waking up and lending bits of warmth to the nice cool summer weather.

You'd sit with your back leaning against one of the fences, on a side where very few of the walkers gathered. A nice place, although growing with weeds and long deep green grass, to just sit and think.

Watching Daryl; for anyone who cared to even notice might find it strange, a bit on the side of creepy. But in no way was it that to you, no you watched him in the early mornings and the darkening evenings in admiration.

He facinated you. Maybe it was because the first glance you had of him was one that saw the most beautiful blue eyes, gracing the most seeminly dark and standoffish person. Maybe it was the way he fought for the group, and thought of each person as part of his new family.

But maybe above all, it was because although he had hardly spoken to you; only here and there in short comments, that you were able to learn so much about him. Just by observing the way he went through the days, the way he made himself seem to others.

Daryl had never really taken an interest in you, and why would he? You were no one special, just a part of the growing group. You were never someone he went up to speak with in the matter of something important, or just for the hell of it. You typically only heard his voice from overhearing conversations he was involved with.

Wrapping your arms tightly around your knees, you bring them inward towards your chest. Looking from afar, at the softer side of Daryl. The side of him that didn't fear of showing that he indeed had a heart. A set of emotions all his own.

He looks down, resting his weight on the large shovel in his hands, at the small wood cross marking a new grave.

He stares down at it as if that person laying under the layers of earth, was somehow apart of him. And maybe in a way they were. The new found feeling of family ran deep within him nowadays, something he had grown over the many months to become used to.

He was a beautiful creature; Daryl Dixon. One of a kind.

Not just for the physical features, his sun kissed skin due from most his time in the beating beams of the Sun. Those blue eyes that seemed too incredible to be real. His voice, in the way his deep accent made his words flow like honey from his lips. The way he could handle himself, a lone wolf out in the wilderness.

But in his other side as well; a side he believed no one knew too well. A side where he felt the things the entire group felt. Loss, hope, and even relief at finding a new somewhat safe enough home for the time being. A side that went soft just for a moment as he held that precious baby of Lori's, and at night you could see it in his eyes sometimes... The feeling that this could be it. This could be a life again.

Daryl was one of his own, not changing for anything nor anyone.

"What are you doin up so early?" Too far into your own head, you didn't even notice Daryl had come on over to you. Probably on his way back inside.

Looking up at him, from your place in the grass. He stood tall, his shadow falling over you like a blanket. One shielding you from the light of the pink tinted sky.

"I'm always up at this time," You say, deciding to go ahead and stand up. "never been able to sleep for more than a few hours a night."

Brushing the dirt off your jeans, you stand up to where his shoulders are. Still feeling small compared to him, and being this close.

"You too huh?" He asks, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

Running a hand through your hair, you say something back making this the longest you'd ever spoken to Daryl before. "You normally get up the time I do, I can hear your boots out in the hallway."

The perch is just a cell away from yours, so when the whole prison is silent the smallest noises are able to be heard.

Daryl lets out something that's a cross between a snort and a grunt, "Didn't know anyone got up that early, 'cept me."

You shrug, finding it hard to look away from his captivating eyes. "You just sit out here?"

You hum in response, "I like to watch the sunrise."

"Never been patient enough to sit round, watching the sky for it. Beautiful though when you catch a glimpse." Daryl comments, running his thumb against the palm of his opposite hand. Dirt caked in the lines dancing on his hands.

"I've seen that," You say softly. "all the time you're out here, barely ever do you look up at the sky when the colors are mixing and painting the clouds."

Daryl's eyebrows raise just slightly, not in discomfort that you had been watching his movement's, but instead in the fact that someone witnessed something so small about his actions. Something he hadn't really realized he did.

"What else do I do, that you've seen?" Daryl asks, a little curious now.

You think for a moment, shaking you head slowly. "I don't know, you bite your thumbnail when your deep in thought or anxious. But I'm sure you know you do that."

He didn't.

"Uh," You pause thinking. "you choose to eat around everyone whether it's breakfast or dinner, but you like having the table to yourself."

"You care for people's emotions, 'specially bout those who hold onto em real tight. Like that night you went to Beth yourself to tell her about the loss of her boyfriend."

"You check on Lil Asskicker every night before you go to bed," You say smiling faintly at the memories of the times you saw him do so. "even if she's already sleep."

"And when you do use shampoo, you use the plain scent. Instead of one of the others," You point out to him. "I can tell when you walk by. You're one of the few of us whose hair doesn't smell like a fruit baskett or a flower shop."

Daryl makes a small noise resembling a laugh from low in his chest, "You observe a lot don't 'cha?"

You lean off your left leg and onto your right, "Got the time I suppose."

"How come," Daryl cratches his neck, looking off at the fields then back at you. "you know all this, yet I ain't ever hardly seen ya round?"

Staring up at him through your lashes, you should feel as the answer is easy to tell him. But instead you feel a little bit of anger at the remark.

"You don't see it do you?" You wonder shaking your head. "You don't get it, even know when I'm explaining it to you?"

Daryl looks a bit taken back, not by the tone in your voice-- he's used to anger in people-- this is different. This to him, is just pure non-understanding of the situation.

"I'm able to learn these things about you because you don't see me." You try explaining to him.

"All the times when I see you for who you are, and you don't even notice is because I'm invisible to you." Saying those words causes your voice to suddenly break, almost instantly making Daryl's face soften.

"I don't say anything to you because, You pause for a breath. "maybe it's better this way. Because maybe being invisible to you is the only allowance I'll get to truly know you."

"You not seeing me, allows me to somehow see a side to you that you shut off. You don't let anyone in to see it," You say watching him look at you now, with something new in his eyes. "and maybe the price for getting to witness that... Is never getting witnessed myself, by you."

Daryl opens his mouth just briefly, before closing it again. He wants to say something, except he hasn't the slightest idea what it is he should say.

Giving him the smallest smile you can muster up, you turn from him. Walking away, back towards the prison. Feeling the newly risen warmth of the Sun on your neck, and the feeling of real heartbreak deep within you.

A/N: I believe this is the longest one I've written, and I love it! ❤