Lean on Me

Daryl stared at the small white cross overlooking the grave, with a blank expression. The cold rain pelted down onto him but he didn't care, he acted as if he didn't even feel it. Dusk was falling over the prison but the darkness just blended with the already grey sky.

He had done this everyday for two weeks straight; ever since this twisted and horrible world stole the daughter you and Daryl shared together away from you both.

Six years old, a whole life ahead of her, and she died in fear as pain rushed through her small and fragile body. Taking her last breath in Daryl's arms, with you weeping beside him holding her hand.

She was so young, so innocent. Too precious for the violence and fear the world now held. But she brightened it up, she was the sunshine on a cloudy day. The rainbow after the rain and the heart of the whole group.

Daryl had felt guilty for her death. It was his job, he always believed, to look after and protect his two girls from the horrors of this new world. And he failed, he failed to save his baby girl from the arms of death that had reached out and sucked her in.

He shut down after that day, he held you during the burial and small funeral held for her and then he disappeared. The only time of day you saw him now was when he went and sat by the small grave. Morning and night; saying good morning to his baby and goodnight to her too.

You had tried to talk with him, he was your husband. But he couldn't handle the emotions inside of him, and it in turn isolated him.

You didn't blame him, you felt the same broken heart inside yourself. But you wished he would look and see that his wife needed him by her side.

Walking through the wet and long summer grass in the fields, you wrap your arms around yourself to keep warm. It was humid out but with the harsh and blowing rain it felt cold and bitter.

Daryl sat crouched in front of her grave, his head facing downward at the ground and you saw his back moving up and down with each breath.

"Daryl," You have to talk louder over the beating rain. "Come inside, you're going to catch a cold if you stay out here in the rain."

Daryl doesn't turn to look at you or even acknowledge you, he doesn't move at all. You take another few steps closer to him and realize his shoulder don't only lift with each breath, but shake as he cries silently.

There were only a few times you had seen Daryl cry. When you both got married, when your baby girl was born, when his brother died and when your daughter died. They were times that showed that he was indeed human and had feelings and had moments of vulnerability. They showed that the world took a toll on him just like everyone else.

"Daryl--" His low gruff southern voice cuts you off, barely able to be heard over the downpour of rain.

"I was supposed to look out for her, I was supposed to watch her and make sure she was safe."

His voice cracked with a rawness that was rare for him, and you walked closer and sat beside him in the soaked grass.

"I was supposed to protect her from all this," Daryl shakes his head, his growing locks soaked with rain. "and I failed her."

"Daryl," You whisper but don't get the chance to finish when he cuts you off again.

"She's dead." His words were empty and cold. Two words he hadn't been able to speak till now and the truth killed him all over again.

"She's dead and I couldn't save her." Daryl's words are followed by a sob, a noise that breaks your heart to hear. Tears mix with raindrops as they roll down his face. Staining his cheeks and burning his eyes.

Taking his hand in yours, you want him to look at you. But he stays still as he cries.

"You kept her safe Daryl, all those years she was looked out for. You didn't fail her, not once, because you loved her. You loved her more than you loved yourself and you kept her safe."

Daryl's eyes slowly look over to meet your gaze, tears shimmering in both his eyes and yours.

"You couldn't stop what happened to her, it was her time. God called her back to him and I know you keep thinking if you had seen that walker that you could've stopped it but Daryl--"

"She's gone." Daryl breathes out and you stare at this man who's heart is shattered.

"I know," You whisper and move closer to him. "I know she is."

Wrapping your arms around him, you bring his face to rest against your chest. Feeling his body shake as sobs overtake him and tears overflow from is eyes and onto your shirt.

"Lean on me Daryl, don't pull away." You whisper to him.

The only way the two of you would make it through this impossible time was together.

A/N: This one hurts my heart, but I like the writing I did in it ❤😭