The Dance

She was stunning; the way each bead of silver shimmered on the fabric as light hit them. The way she twirled and the dress followed her in waves of lace. Her hair pinned back with curls of her light brown hair trickling down her back.

Her eyes sparkled with light shadow that only made her eyes more bold and more beautiful. Blue; something blue she had already gotten from the person she loved the most. Something blue she had since the day she was born.

The bouquet of white roses wrapped in silk were held in her trembling hands as she stood counting down the minutes.

Deep and scared breaths passed her pale pink glossed lips, and her eyes shut as the nerves beat hard against her chest. Her heart quickening with each passing moment.

"Ye okay?" She hadn't even heard him come up to her, but once she heard that deep southern grumble of a voice she felt calm.

Turning she's taken aback for a second, catching a glimpse of the man she usually saw in ripped up jeans and stained plaid shirts, in a sharp black suit.

His darker brown hair was still grown out and almost hit his shoulders, but she could tell it was freshly washed recently.

She smiles a warm smile towards him, feeling an instant sense of comfort overcome her.

"Nervous?" He asks and she nods with a soft hum.

Taking her left hand in his, he squeezes it gently. "Me too."

Her head tilts to the side with a playful grin tugging at her lips. "Why are you nervous? I think that's my job."

A soft smile of his own tugs at the corners of his lips, as he looks at her sweet smile. "Because I gotta learn how ta let 'cha go."

She looks deep into his eyes in that moment and sees flashes of fear and pain play in his blue eyes... The same blue she shared.

"I'm going off to live my own life," She says, tightening her grip her hand has on his. "but that doesn't mean I'm not going to still be a part of yours."

He looks up from his gaze on the floor to her eyes, those shimmering eyes he'd been looking at for twenty years. They swim with emotion and he can feel the tears burning to escape.

"I--" Shaking his head, unable to express what he's feeling she pulls her hand out of his and touches his cheek.

"I love you too daddy." As the words fill Daryl's ears, he's not looking at his grown up girl dressed in white. He's looking at his little girl wearing scuffed cowboy boots and pink overalls.

The little girl that smiled every time her daddy came home from work and would run into his arms, getting picked up and spun like a princess.

The little girl that he would put to bed in her small flower decorated bedroom, purple pajamas and goodnight kisses.

Her first day of school flashes before him; her first words, first birthday, first time she told her daddy she loved him.

And suddenly he's back; looking at the woman his little girl's grown up to be. Her beauty, her strength, her outlook on life.

"Ready?" She asks him, the time for her to walk down that aisle approaching.

"As I'll ever be." Daryl says, and the doors in front of them open wide. The soft sound of a country tune plays and they step hand in hand down that aisle.

Passing her over to the man she gets to call her husband was harder than Daryl thought it would be, he knew it would be hard... But he didn't know it'd hurt like this.

But watching her now, dancing in a shorter easier to move in dress, she smiles brighter than he ever saw her smile.

The ring flickers as light bounce off it as she sways from side to side to the music. Friends dancing with her as her husband is off with his own parents in the crowd on the dance floor.

Daryl sits alone at the table, the suit beginning to dig into his skin, but he just watches his little girl celebrate happily.

His hand that rests on the pale blue clothed table holds a small glass of whisky, his second drink so far. He isn't sure if he's drinking because he doesn't have anything else to do, or if he's drinking to dull the ache growing in his heart.

Ever since she was born, his little girl has needed him. Whether it be to hide behind his leg when she was shy, or help reach the highest shelf when she was too short. When she needed help with school work, he tried his hardest to do what he could. When she needed hugs and cuddles he was there... Now she's going off on her own. She won't need him like she used to anymore.

"Why are you sitting over here all alone?" He hadn't realized she had come over to him, until she stood right in front of him now. Her hands placed on her hips, and still a shinning smile stretched out on her lips.

He shrugs, and takes another sip of his drink.

"Come on," She holds her hand out to him, and his eyebrow raises slightly. "come dance with me. I was promised a dance with my daddy on my wedding day."

Thirteen years ago, he promised he'd dance with her on her wedding day... To a special song. Their song.

A small smile of warmth at the memory makes it's way to his lips, and he slides his hand into hers.

Making their way to the middle of the lit up dance floor, he hears the music flood in through the speakers.

"There I was ten years old, waiting in my room for him to come home,"

Smiling down at his girl, she watches him back mirroring the same love in her eyes he feels.

It feel like just yesterday to Daryl, he stared at these bright blue Dixon eyes the day she was born.

"He put his arms around me and said, in the sunlight or the rain, brightest nights or darkest days, I'll always feel the same way,"

She was his way of redeeming his life, giving her a childhood he never got, that was how he made up for his mistakes in life. Through her he found a better way.

"My love is there, wherever you may be, just remember you'll always be my baby."

"Daddy?" She whispers, and she can feel tears stinging her eyes.

Daryl hums in response, looking to her to continue.

"Thank you."

He nods then stops himself quickly, "What for darlin?"

"For always being there for me," She smiles. "for loving me the way you did even though no one did for you when you were young."

Daryl smiles softly, leaning forward he kisses his daughter's forehead. "I love you, nothin can change that."

In that moment, from the emtion of the dance they shared, he told her the three words he had to tell her. That his love for her was going no where no matter how old she got, no matter where her life took her.

"Just remeber you'll always be my baby." His voice comes out low and raspy, as he sings softly to his baby girl. Singing the lyrics but speaking the truth deep within his heart.

A/N: okay... I'm sobbing right now!😭❤