Backbone

The wind whistled through the branches of the tall trees and the sky was grey. The air was cold as it blew against Daryl, chilling his face as his arms were covered in his denim jacket. His long locks were blown across his face as he had to keep tucking them back, and the movement reminded him of the night not too long ago that you ran your fingers softly through them. Even for a second, the sensation soaked straight into his scalp. And now, it was as if he could always feel it.

Rick sat beside him, both men leaning back against the car that you, Michone and Carl all slept in. The two men staying awake talking as they didn't believe that they would find each other again.

"So," Rick clears his throat, and looks over at Daryl. "You and--"

Rick gestures with head to the car they lean on, indicating he's talking about you.

Daryl's eyebrows furrow slightly, and shakes his head. His hair falling into his face again, and he's thankful for the way the locks shield his cheeks in a way. Covering the pale pink flushing his skin.

"Nah," Daryl shakes his head again, playing nervously with a string coming undone from his denim jacket.

"But you two made it out together?"

"Nah, I found her." Daryl says, thinking back to that day he found you scared and alone. He had never seen you as vulnerable as you were that day. And he felt, just as you had told him one night, that he was there at just the right moment. That he was meant to find you.

"She was on her own. Stumbled 'cross her one day. She was weak, and alone. Real scared." Daryl explains and remembers the feeling of your arms grabbing onto him for strength.

"That how she got that arm of hers banged up?" Rick questions and Daryl nods.

Your arm was healing up well, a scar to be there no doubt, but it was getting better nonetheless.

"Couldn't move it when I found her, tried to bind it best I could."

Rick nods his head, looking out at the forest in front of them. "Sounds like you nursed her back to health huh? She's lucky you found her."

When the prison fell, and chaos insued, you were the first person on his mind. The first person his eyes searched for in the midst of the smoke and the gunfire. It was you he hoped to find as he made it out. And to find you days, weeks later... He couldn't bring himself to think about what would've happened if it was a day or two too late.

"So you and her aren't--" Rick insinuates and asks again.

Daryl looks over at the man who called him his brother only minutes ago, and the man who still has blood coating his growing beard. Rick looks back at the redneck, awaiting his answer.

But Daryl shakes his head, and grunts lowly as if it was the most preposterous thing he had ever heard. When in reality, Rick had actually hit pretty close to the mark on that one.

"It's okay you know," Rick speaks up, looking down at his hands as he picks at the dry blood around his fingernails. "To feel that way about her."

Daryl tried and tried to ignore the feeling inside of him that rose whenever you were with him. He tried lying to himself and convincing himself that it was foolish. But even now, his feelings for you were as strong as ever.

"She don't need somethin slowing her down or making her weak."

Daryl's voice is low; emotion concealed as he hides his face away from Rick. He feels uneasy as he speaks up softly about the subject. Especially when you sleep right behind them in the back seat with Carl and Michonne.

"You're right," Rick replies, and looks over at the uncomfortable redneck. "That's why she wants you."

That makes Daryl look over at Rick, his eyebrows furrowed and his heart beats harder inside of his chest.

"What?" Daryl asks and Rick lets out a low chuckle, as he shakes his head.

"Daryl, if there was a doctor here right now, he'd say you were blind."

"Anyone with eyes can see how she feels about you. Every one but you apparently." Rick tells Daryl, running a hand over his jaw.

"She cares for you Daryl. I mean, really cares. She looks to you and she follows you because she trusts you and believes in you. And the way she watches you," Rick shakes his head again. "You two should talk more, because I think those feelings you have, you would see she has them too."

Daryl stays silent as he listens to Rick talk, trying to absorb and understand all he's telling him.

"You aren't some burden to her, that's why she likes you Daryl. Because you're her backbone. Her strength."

You were strong on your own in your own way. In ways Daryl wasn't. You didn't need his strength... Did you?

"Always have been, and always will be." Rick adds, and looks up just in time to spot you walking over. Daryl looks to the side and you plop down beside the redneck.

"You know, you guys can sleep. I can keep watch, don't want you falling asleep on us." You say with a small smile. Your heart happy now that you and Daryl had stumbled across them. Your family.

"We're alright," Rick replies kindly, and Daryl is quiet as he stares at you. Looking at you differently after hearing what Rick had just explained to him. Seeing you in a new light perhaps.

Nodding your head, you let out a soft yawn. Your eyes fluttering back to sleep, and in doing so your head drops to the side. Cushioned by Daryl's shoulder that was there willing and waiting for you.

Daryl stares down at your tired and sleeping form, and feels his heart begin to pick up speed.

"It's okay Daryl," Rick whispers softly, standing up slowly. "To give in to it."

And with that, Rick walks around to open up the car door Carl rests by. Leaving the redneck sitting there with a swirling mind.

Daryl looks down at you. Your eyelids fluttering softly as you dream and the way your hair blows in the breeze. And as hr gazes down at your sleeping figure, he wonders if Rick could be right. If it was okay to give in to this. Give into these feelings. Give in to you.

A/N: I really liked the idea for this one, hopefully the writing turned out okay too!