The outsider

I've been a New Yorker all my life. My mom Diane ran away from her aristocratic family in England to the land of dreams in hope to find a career in fashion. I still don't know much about my father but my mom told me he cheated on her and she left him when I was two. Her charismatic looks made her an editor of a popular magazine at a very young age. She jumped from one magazine to another and she changed husbands faster than models changed their clothes. Her influence got me into preppy schools in New York and vacations in Europe. I often ended up doing homework in French chateaus or the backstage of runways. She now lives with husband #5 with occasional visits from my step sister Victoria, NewYork's most notorious husband huntress and fiancé shagger ( That, I have recently discovered).
    A disturbing ring wakes me up. I reach out to grab my phone which seems to found be nowhere. I find my phone laying on a dusty ancient carpet with my mom's name flashing on the screen. I don't know why I didn't block her yet. I know she won't stop calling me unless I answer. I pick the call telling myself I'll be done with it soon.
   ' Alex, honey, did you get there safe? How do you like it?', In a tone with a slight British accent which seems to come only when I'm around.
  ' Better than you liked it.' I retort back.
  '  Honey, it has been twenty five years I've given the place a thought.'
  ' I gotta go mom, I still have to unpack.' I say wearily.
  ' Okay, take care and honey, wait! Victoria wants to say hi,'
  ' But I don't!' I say as I cut the call. How could Victoria have the  nerve to say hi to me after what she had done.
    The antique cuckoo clock hanging on the wooden wall reminds me that I have overslept and I have to get to dinner at Pete's in a while. Maybe I should get him a little thank you present. I tried to locate the nearest store to me. I have no time look around the house or unpack so I open my bag and grab the clothing on top.
    I change into my shorts and a hoodie from College. I twist my hair in a top bun, grab my wallet and keys with one hand and phone with another.
    I try to locate the nearest store that I can walk to since I have no car of my own. I wish I had my mom's Merc.
   I find a supermarket five minutes away and I figured I could bring them flowers and a bottle of wine. The five minute walk felt like it took forever as there with no man in sight or sound to be heard. What a dreary life the people here lived!
   I reach the supermarket and head straight to the wine section. It's not until a while later that
I realise that a lot of people are looking in my direction.
I wonder if they knew I was an outsider. I grab the wine and flowers and head the counter.
   ' So you went to NYU? ' asked the guy at the counter pointing to my sweatshirt.
   ' Yes, I did. Is that why everyone here is looking at me?,' I ask consciously.
   ' Haha, yes that, and that you're wearing booty shorts,' he chuckles.
   ' So, what, people don't wear booty shorts around here?' I ask puzzled
   ' You'll see,' he winks at me. ' I'm Tim by the way.'
  ' Hi, I'm Alex, nice to meet you.' I smile and collect the bag and leave.

I rush back to Pete's house and I hope they don't mind my choice of outfit because I don't want to be late.
    I knock on the door.
    I'm welcomed by a petite young girl in a matching pink blouse and a skirt.
   ' Hi, I'm Rosie, you must be Alex' she chirps.
   ' Oh hey Rosie! ' I pat on her head.
    ' Come in, ' she says and walks me into the house. The house is well lit with a vintage chandelier hanging and beautiful paintings hung around. I could make out that they were expensive.
   We enter the dining room where Pete and a woman who I guess was his wife were laying out plates. I was clearly under-dressed but they acted like they didn't notice. That's sweet!
   Pete comes to hug me and introduces me to his pretty wife Sophie. She gives me a kiss on the cheek and hugs me. I'm going to have to get used to these hugs.
  ' These are for you, ' I say handing over the flowers and wine to Sophie.
  'Thank you, I hope you are hungry,' Sophie says directing me towards the table as Pete pulls out a chair for me.
' Damn right I'm hungry' I think to myself.
   The food looks splendid and I wondered how I survived without eating for so many hours. I serve myself everything I could lay my eyes on.     
  'So have you decided what to do yet?' Pete asks as he pours out the wine.
  ' Yes there is an opening at the community dental centre for an  Endodontist '
' Oh that's great! I'm working there as a receptionist for my summer job' Rosie says.
' So what colleges are you planning to apply to?,' I ask Rosie
  Rosie looks puzzled as her mom laughs softly and says ' Our Rosie is already a freshman at Boston University, studying arts.'
  ' Oh I'm sorry, you look very young, Rosie' I say as I gobble up my food and I regret patting her head immediately.
  ' It's very comforting to have a familiar face on my first day.' I tell Rosie. She smiles shyly.
  ' Your dad and I were in the real estate business. Our office is close to the dental centre. Maybe you could swing by and see how it works,' Says Pete.
  I manage to say okay and I continue to eat.
  Pete continues to talk about their business, all the clients, places to visit in Martha's Vineyard but all I think about is what dessert we are going to have.
  Sophie then brings out the dessert and I'm so glad it is apple pie. I love apple pie. Pete keeps talking throughout and I could see Rosie was bored and is texting on her phone.
  I unconsciously let out a yawn.
  Sophie looks at me, ' You must be tired,' she says concerned.
' Yes, I have been busy unpacking,' I lie.
  I say goodnight and I thank them for having me over and leave.
I go home still tired and I fall on the couch which I have made my temporary bed, promising myself I'll unpack everything tomorrow. It didn't take me long to fall asleep.