The office

' Good morning Alex, ready for your first day?,' says Pete as I get into the backseat of his car.
  ' Good morning Pete, Hey Rosie! I'm terribly nervous actually. Glad I have Rosie around.'
  ' I am too,' beams Rosie.
  ' Rosie, a doctor named Jamie called me yesterday. I think I have to meet him and some one named Violet today.'
  ' Oh my god! Jamie called you! He is the best cosmetic surgeon in the whole world!!' Rosie jumps her seat.
  ' Calm down Rosie,' Pete chuckles, ' Rosie has a massive crush on this Jay person.
  ' DAD! I DO NOT !' She says blushing.
  ' What's he like, Rosie ?'
  ' He is the most charming and talented doctor I have ever met. It's as if his voice hypnotises the patients and his charm soothes the pain.'
  ' Really? Can't wait to meet this human anaesthetic,'
  ' You'll love him,' says Rosie, still blushing.
  ' What about the others?'
   ' There's Khloe, an endodontist like you who joined last year. Sean, Linda, and Jeremy the dental assistants and of course, Violet our boss. She is a pedodontist. She loves kids. But Violet is--,'
   Our conversation is interrupted as Pete stops the car.
  ' That's your clinic on the right,' Pete points out.
   I look at a glass enclosed building with a shiny board that read " Community Dental Centre" with the doctors names on it.
   I close my eyes, say a little prayer and step out. I get down the car and set my outfit that took me an hour to pick. I'm wearing my favourite silk Olive blouse with a Victorian bow and an Oscar de la Renta Ikat embroidered pencil skirt part of the things my mom gets for free. Perks of being a fashion editor's daughter. I team my outfit with red Marc Jacob pumps and hair over my shoulders.
   Pete honks and waves. We say bye and walk in.
   The clinic looks neat and spacious. The cream walls and the grey carpet give it a sober look.
  ' See you at lunch,' Rosie says and hugs me again.
  She points me towards Violet's office.
  I walk towards the office, take a deep breath and knock on the door.
  ' Come in,' says a squeaky female voice.
  I walk into the room and see a woman who must be in her early forties, with short blonde hair with bangs falling into her eyes. She sits in a pink chair and her office looks like a pink bomb burst in here. Maybe dealing with kids over the years had an effect on her taste. I see pictures of cats hanging on the walls and her desk has a cup of furry glittery pom-poms on the end of the pencils. I see a pink MacBook on her desk.
  ' Yes?' she looks up and eyes me up and down.
  ' I'm Alex Davies '
  ' Oh hi Alex, welcome to the community dental centre. I was expecting you here at nine. It's 9:01 now.' She says, looking at her pink watch.
  I look at her confused.
  ' Anyway, please have a seat,' She shows me a very purple chair.
  ' Alex, you have a very impressive profile. What brings a big city girl like you to this place?' She asks, still eying me up and down.
  ' I needed a break from the city life.'
  ' Okay great, let me show you around and meet the others.'
  We walk out of her office towards the adjacent room and turn the knob.
  I see a young woman about my age flipping the pages of a newspaper.
  ' Khloe, meet Alex Davies our new endodontist from New York. She'll be working with us from today. And Alex, this is Khloe Pape another endodontist.'
  ' Alex,' she nods, ' Looking forward to work with you.' and she turns back into the newspaper.
   Violet then shows me the lab, the sterilisation room and the patients working area. We then walk into another office.
  ' This is Jamie's office' she points me towards a closed door. Just then a fairly tall and attractive, tanned man greets us from behind.
  ' Sorry I'm late,' he grins looking at Violet.
  ' Oh it's all right.' Violet says.
  ' Jamie, meet Alex Davies, our new Endodontist and Alex, meet Jamie Roberts, the heart of our clinic.'
  ' Hello, Dr. Davies. I'll see you around,' he says getting into his office and shuts the door.             
  ' Isn't he cute!' Violet blushes.
   So cuteness gives you a pass?, I think to myself.
   Violet then opens the last room.                     
   ' This is your office, I hope you like it.'
   The office looks plain with an empty desk and chairs.
   ' It's great,' I say. I think about adding frames to the wall and changing the whole look.
   ' Change into your scrubs first,' I hear Violet say with her creepy eyes looking at me.
   I find my scrubs on the couch and I change into them as soon as she leaves the room. I put my hair in a knot and walk out.
   I first go to Khloe's office just to make myself familiar.
  ' Hi Khloe! ' I greet.
  ' Hey,' she replies dully and looks back into the newspaper.
   I pull out a chair and she still doesn't respond.
   I think of making small talk and ask, 'So anything interesting in the newspaper today?   
' Oh yes, the local ferry met with a huge accident. I bet many people died.'
  ' Oh really! I hope not.' I say shocked thinking about my ferry ride here.
She doesn't reply.
  ' So Khloe...'
  ' It's Khul-oh-ee with a K,' she snaps back at me.
  ' Sorry KHUL-OH-EE, where did you graduate from?'
  ' From Tufts, obviously the best. With a full scholarship.'
  ' Oh wow! that's amazing!'
  ' Yes it is. So where are you from?'
  ' From New York University,' I say.
  ' I bet it is easy to get in there.'
   I open my mouth to argue but choose not to. It's only the first day here, I tell myself.
  ' See you around then,' I say and walk towards Jay's office.
  Jay's office is filled with medals and certifications of honour. Rosie was right. He must indeed be very talented.
  ' Hi Jamie!' I greet.
  ' Hello Dr. Davies,' he says and looks back into his laptop.
  Hasn't anyone here been taught manners?
  ' You can call me Alex.'
  ' I like to keep things professional,' He snaps.
Ugh! I only asked him to call me Alex. I didn't ask him to hit on me.
  ' So..have you heard about the ferry accident? I heard it was huge!' I shift the topic.
' The ferry just experienced some turbulence. You would know if you read the newspaper.'
' Oh.' I say embarrassed.
' I'm very busy now. I'm working on an article. I need some privacy.'
  ' Oh I'm sorry to intrude,' I say as I walk away.
   I go into my office and sit on the chair and spin around until I feel dizzy. I stare at the clock till lunch time. I walk out of the room to find Rosie.