The visitor

I love Sundays. I loved having the same routine. Waking up at noon and heading to the cozy, tiny place that served brunch up the corner of the street with James. Ugh! James! My ex-fiancé. His perfectly chiseled face with an impeccable sense of dressing made him the most desirable man in all of New York. I was stunned when he proposed to me. I can never forget that night. It was the typical english-style (more my style, less my mom) evening picnic with lights and an enthralling view that I never knew existed in this world. Why did he love me so much? I spent all my teenage years struggling to maintain my grades, take advanced classes while moving homes and bond with new step-fathers and their families. My college years flew by quickly. I often wondered whose brains I've inherited. Definitely not my mother's so it had to be my biological father's. We never spoke much about him at home. I only started taking care of my body and skin after college unlike many other peers who spent hours of time doing their makeup and got regular manis and pedis. I wouldn't say I was a horror to look at but I wasn't a glamorous doll either. It often crossed my mind how James with his sculptured looks fell for an ordinary girl like me. What did he see in me? My doubts were pushed to the back of my mind every time he opened that perfect pink lipped mouth that spoke golden words and compliments that would make me redder than a red bell pepper. Until I found him in a very compromising position. With another woman. Yes, he was a sex-god in bed, undoubtedly but he was supposed to be mine. Not everyone's god. Ughh!!!

I open my eyes to the sound of seagulls and I'm so glad I'm away from all the drama that happened afterwards. My mother wasn't as supportive as any mother would be and the next decision I took was to move away. From all of them.
For the first time, I look around and I see that I'm in a room with a deserted look. Everything in the room is covered with a white sheet with fine layer of dust. I'll have to become a maid now, i think, rolling my eyes. It's finally time to explore the house.
I walk towards the blinds and open them. The room is filled with light. I could see the perfect sea view with the sun glistening on the water. I have to get my feet dirty in the sand now. I slide open the glass doors. Overwhelmed, I rush down and fall straight into the sand. The next thing I know, there's sand in my mouth. I turn on my back and see the collapsed stairs. Another thing on my list to be fixed. Well, Enough of exploring for today.
I walk back in, into the kitchen. I open the fully stocked cupboards and drawers which are stocked enough to last me for a while. I rip open a bag of chocolate chip cookies and start devouring.
I walk straight from the kitchen and open another door and to my surprise, I see a fully furnished library with Cuban mahogany shelves occupied by hardbound books. I notice a silhouette of a piano under a white sheet and pull out it out to reveal a large ebony piano. Disinterested, I walk back towards the shelves slowly stroking the spine of the books with my fingers.
Suddenly, my heart skips a beat to the unruly banging of the piano keys. As I turn my head, I pray to every god on earth that it should not be a ghost.
A large brown furry cat jumps up on the piano top and glares at me. I reach for the nearest book and fling it across hoping it would scare the cat but it does not move an inch. Oh god, I cannot live here!
I walk out of the room, grab my luggage from the living room, huffing and puffing, up the stairs. I see that there are four bedrooms and I pick the one facing the sea and because It has an attached bathroom. I unpack my bag and organise all the stuff in the bathroom.
The bathroom seems nice and spacious.
I start the shower and soak in the hot steamy water which relaxes my sore muscles.
Damn I forgot to bring a towel with me! Shivering, I walk out of the bathroom, cover myself in a warm towel and look for my clothes.
I find my favourite pair of pyjamas with bunnies all over it. It gives me instant warmth and comfort.
I make myself scrambled eggs, bacon and pour out a glass of orange juice and head to the sit-out at the back.
I eat my breakfast watching the people jogging and walking their dogs on the beach.
I see a pregnant-looking woman on my right with a similar sit-out. She looks at me and smiles through her binoculars. Both of us walk towards the wooden bars separating our houses.
'Hi! I'm Alex Davies,' I introduce myself.
'Hi! I'm Tanya! I know, who you are. You're Matthew's daughter. So, are you starting work tomorrow?'
News spreads fast here in Inkwell street, I think.
'Yes I'm starting work from tomorrow.'
'I make jewellery from recycled items and sell them at the local flea market every Wednesday. Do stop by my stall.'
'Sure,' I say. As I'm about to ask her more about herself, I get a call. I excuse myself and answer it
' Hello,' says a deep male voice.
' I'm Jamie Roberts, from the Community Dental Clinic, Violet made me call you,'
' Yes, I'm Alex.'
' I take it that you are joining us from tomorrow?'
' Yes I will be,' I reply.
' I expect you to be here by 9,' he says and cuts the call before I could answer back.
Couldn't he wait for me to say yes? I think to myself.
I wonder what it's going to be like tomorrow.