The blackberry

' Rosie, are you in any of Tanya's clubs?' I ask her, sitting in the passenger seat of her mom's car. Watching Rosie drive the car made me miss my merc even more. I cant wait for my it to be shipped here.

Rosie suddenly bursts out laughing with tears running from the corner of her eyes.
' Are you serious Alex?'
' What's funny in that?' I retort defensively.
' You'll see,' She says laughing a little more.
' Thanks for giving me a ride. My merc is arriving over the weekend.'
'Oh wow! Can i take it for a spin?'
' All yours, Rosie,' I say as we arrive at the clinic.
I hesitate to get down the car.
Rosie notices it.
' Don't worry Alex. After every sad day comes a happy day, so cheer up!' She assures me.
' I think you're right. See you again at lunch,' I say entering inside.

I enter into my office and sit at my desk. Before I start my day at work, I think I should go check my instagram feed. I see a picture of my mom and Victoria with wine glasses in their hands. #Wine #Tasting #Winetasting #Vintage #Great day # Best daughter ever , the caption reads.
I am almost tempted to comment. 'What am I?'
I go through the comments and I come accross James' comment. "My beautiful girls!'"
I cannot take it anymore. I block them all at once. They were the reason I'm here today. I have to move forward.

The first half of the day went by quickly with very few cases and sweet, non complaining patients unlike Priscilla. Satisfied, I walk out of my office to tell Rosie about my day.
As soon as I open my office door, I see Dr. Violet Edwards right outside the door as if she was waiting for me to come out.
' Hi Alex,  I was just coming to see you. Why don't you join me for lunch now? After all today is your second day. We have to get to know each other.'
' Yes, sure,' I say as we walk towards her office. I text Rosie that I can't go out with her for lunch today.

We are back in the purple goffice. I notice that there is a new furry purple cushion. What is with her and purple? Maybe she takes her name too seriously.
I sit tenderly on the chair. Violet takes out two takeaway boxes from a plastic bag.
' I took the liberty of ordering for you too!' She says passing me a box.
As I open the box, a strong smell of garlic hits me.
' I ordered ginger wasabi fried rice for you too, It's my favourite.' She grins.
' Oh I love it!' I smile nervously. I hate Wasabi.
' How did you settle in Martha's Vineyard, did you like this place?'
' So far, so good. Where are you originally from?'
' Im from Alaska. I wasn't brought up in a city like you.'
' Hahaha,' I laugh nervously. I'd rather be bought up in Alaska than live with that family.

We talk about her life in Alaska, her schooling, there is no mention of her husband or her family, only cats. I assumed that she is an old lady with cats. This is going to be me in a few years if I don't find anyone soon. At that thought, I knock on wood.
' Anyway, I have to get going Dr. Edwards. Why don't you come over for dinner on Saturday at my place?' I ask out of gratitude for today's lunch and also imagine her sitting her at dinner all alone with her cats.
' Oh sure!' She says elated, 'I look forward to it.'
I wave and walk out and get back to my office.
As soon as I sit on my chair, there is a knock on my door.
' Come in.'
' Dr. Davies, you have a new patient,' says Jeremy.
' Yes, I'm coming.'

I look at a tall man who must roughly be 6"2 standing near the dental chair, looking deeply involved in his phone.
' Hi, I am Dr. Davies. Glad to meet you.' I look up from the file and see that he is not responding. He is still looking into his blackberry typing away. Who uses a blackberry these days?
I look at him from top to bottom. He is well dressed, suited up and looked like a stereotypical corporate machine. Who is this blackberry guy? Why is he not sitting in his dental chair!? I want to throw his blackberry in the trash can.
' Excuse me,' I say, doubtfully looking at Jeremy.
' Sir, please take a seat.' says Jeremy.
' Oh I'm sorry,' the blackberry guy says and sits on the dental chair.
' I see that today is your first visit here. I'll be checking you. Please open your mouth,' I say wearing my gloves.
He gives me an awkward smile.
' Could you please open your mouth for me?' I emphasize.
He opens his mouth just enough to let a straw in, not maintaining any eye contact.
' A little more wider please..'
He grabs for his phone.
' Sorry I have an urgent meeting. I have to go' he says and runs away.
' What did I do Jeremy?' I say confused.
Jeremy laughs. Anyway it's time to leave. I go to Rosie. As I get closer I hear the man's voice,
' Hi, I want to reschedule my appointment. Can you allot me a different doctor?' He says.
' Why was there any problem?'
' No. I just want to change my doctor.'
Why would he do that? I think to myself furiously. All I did was ask him to open his mouth a little wider.