The minions

' What can I do to prove it to them that I'm a good dentist! What should I do to make myself seem smarter?,' I think as I throw myself across the bed.
My life was all and still is about proving myself ever since my mom married husband #5, Steven and brought Victoria into my life. Victoria always out shined me with her flaming red hair that drew men towards her. Her smile summoned even the most loyal men. Hence the name "Husband huntress of New York." Even James, my ex fiancé fell into her web.
She always stole the spotlight from me. The only place where I was better than her was academics and when people recognised me for it, she would turn into a damsel in distress and bring up her fake dyslexia.
"TRRIIINNGGG"
I realise that the doorbell has been ringing for a while now.
' Oh! These annoying neighbours of Inkwell Street.'
I get down the creaky stairs hurriedly and open the door.
' Hello neighbour!!!' A group of shrill voices irritates my ears. I can't see who it is as casserole is shoved in my face.
I grab it with both my hands and lift it down to see Tanya accompanied by two other women. The casserole looks half black and by the smell, I assume it is burnt. I wish I had another hand to cover my nose.
' Hi Alex, I hope we are not interrupting anything,' Tanya exclaims judging my outfit.
'  Love your outfit. It is so....comfortable!' she says staring at the baggy T-shirt I'm wearing.
' Thanks! You look very...garden-y. Oh I mean flowery,' I say with sarcasm looking at her ugly floral dress.
' This is Sally, and this Polly.' She introduces me to two minion like women standing behind her.
' Hiii' they say in a monotonous voice.
' Hi Sally! Hi Polly! Do come in guys,' I take them in towards the couch.
Tanya sits first on the couch immediately followed by Sally on her left and Polly on her right.
Tanya looks tiny compared to Sally and Polly.
' So Tanya, how far are you along?' I ask looking at her tummy.
Sally and Polly stare at her frightened and confused.
' What? What are you talking about? I'm not pregnant,' Tanya defends herself hiding her stomach.
It was pretty obvious that a women her size could not have a belly that huge unless she was pregnant.
' Oh I'm sorry. Anyways what's up with you guys?'
' We were wondering..' starts Tanya.
' If you would want to...' continues Sally
' Join our club?' Polly finishes the sentence.
They ask me jumping out of there chair with enthusiasm.
' Cool! What club?' I ask them acting interested.
' We represent the women of Inkwell Street...' Says Tanya,
'...We have a book club, we have a cooking club, a health club, a charity club, and we look after the welfare of people of Inkwell Street.'
' And Tanya is the president of these clubs.' says Sally.
' We are the secretaries.' Polly continues.
Sally and Polly finish Tanya's sentences. My guess was right. They are her minions.
' I love books. So I would like to join the book club.' I say hesitatingly.
' Only the book club?' Sleepy Sally says with her droopy eyes.
' Why don't you join the cooking club too ?' Creepy Polly asks, staring at me unblinkingly.
' Okay I'll join. Maybe I'll get to taste good food' I smile.
' What about charity?' Tanya interrupts. ' Don't you want to help the needy? Not everyone is privileged like us,' waving her hand in the air.
' Okay sure, why not? Charity club too!' I say nervously. I think I hate these clubs already. I have a strong intuition that these women are going to land me in deep trouble.
' Do you guys want some coffee? I could make you some.' I offer.
' No we have to get going,' says Tanya looking at Sally and Polly.
' We have to visit another neighbour. He is not very easy to convince.'
' So, is he new here too?' I ask.
'  No. He has been living here for a year now. We have been trying to involve him in our clubs ever since. But he snubs us down every time.'
' Maybe he is not interested.' I say. I wish I had a strong mind like him to resist these women's stubborn persuasion.
' But we need brave and handsome men like him in our club.' Says Tanya
' He is a snob.' Sleepy Sally says.
' A handsome snob.' Chimes in Polly creepily.
' Whatever gals, we have to go,' Says Tanya.
Polly and Sally get up from the couch and go towards the door and open it for Tanya.
Tanya slowly gets up from the couch taking support from the back pillows and puts a hand on her tummy. She catches me looking at her and removes her hand from her stomach hastily.
I walk them out of the house and say bye.
' Don't forget to come to our book club meeting this Wednesday evening at my house at six.'
Tanya and her minions wave goodbye and walk across the street diagonally towards a house which is two houses down from Pete's. I walk towards my mailbox and take my mail.
I watch as the porch light turns on the unwilling neighbours house and faintly hear their shrill voices.
I see the dark outline of a man who was at least a foot taller than Tanya and her minions. Within twenty seconds, I see them walking back and I take it that they were unsuccessful.
' How can he be so rude!' I think to myself as I walk back into the house.