Chapter 9: Too close for comfort . . . and abs

Beverly Hills seemed like another world, with its ginormous mansions and manicured lawns. It was truly the epitome of perfection. As I drove past them, my mouth hung to the floor of my car and I couldn't stop drooling over the beautiful properties.

It wasn't an easy feat getting into the gated community. There was a special pass that all visitors needed to obtain before they were allowed in--a pass which I stole from Dad's cabinet drawer. But the end justifies the means, right? Anyway, I was here and it was better than I'd ever envisioned.

I thought about the people who lived here and at that moment, I swear I just saw JLo with her twins!

I got to the mansion that belonged to Mason McKnight, a few minutes later and it didn't disappoint; it was just as spectacular as the other mansions I'd seen on my drive down here. Getting out of my car, I checked the side of the gates for an intercom but there wasn't one.

A man in a black suit, who I assumed was a guard, appeared from a security post on the other side of the gate. He regarded me from head to toe, quite rudely actually.

Oh! Did he know that this jumpsuit was from last season?

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. McKnight?" he asked curtly.

I tucked a loose strand behind my ear nervously. "Um, no."

"Is he expecting you?"

"No, but--"

"People who haven't given prior notice to Mr. McKnight are not allowed to enter the premises."

I shifted uncomfortably on my feet and worried my bottom lip as I tried to come up with a plan, any plan to make sure I got into that mansion. I glanced up at the walls surrounding the perimeter and as crazy as it sounded, I considered jumping over. Unfortunately, however, these heels weren't made for climbing.

"Why don't you call him and let him know you're outside," the security guard suggested.

I would if I had his number, Einstein!

"I don't --"A brilliant idea popped into my head at that moment. "Sure, that's exactly what I'll do. Right now, in fact."

Taking out my phone, I pretended to call Mason's phone number and after a few seconds of letting it 'ring', I spoke into the receiver.

My voice had a somewhat shrill, high quality to it. That was definitely my new lie voice. "Hey, Mason . . . yeah, I'm good. So, I'm outside your house and there's this really, rude security guard who won't let me in."

I smiled unapologetically at the guard. "Yeah, right? Like doesn't he know who I am? You should totally fire his ass. . . 'kay, see you in a bit."

I pressed the end button and flipped my hair to side. "He said you should let me through, immediately."

"I would have let you speak to him," I rushed out, "but he sounded angry . . . at you," I added, hoping it gave the desired effect.

He stared at me for a while before walking back to the security post. I thought he would personally call Mason, but soon after the gates opened up causing me to sigh in relief.

That was close!

Once I entered into the massive compound, I encircled the outdoor swimming pool and parked right in front of the large doors.

Climbing up the steps with trepidation, I knocked on the door all the while holding my breath. I hadn't really thought until now, what Mason's reaction would be to seeing me on his doorstep out of the blue like this.