Chapter 11: Close Ups and Lies

"We are live in ten," the studio guy announced.

I watched from one of the cameras on set, as the makeup team did last minute checks on Mason and the talk show host––Dalton Weiss. The pair sat across from each other but both were on totally different energy levels.

Dalton Weiss was his usual lively self, prepping for the show as he talked animatedly, trying to engage Mason in some friendly chatter. Mason, however, looked he'd rather be somewhere else. Uninterested, he slouched in his chair, his face retaining a monotonous expression despite Dalton's funny jokes.

Mason drew out a loud opened mouth yawn just then. I smiled at the indifference he displayed when there were about half a dozen people around him.

He rubbed his forehead and I saw that, even from the distance, he was exhausted. I couldn't help but sympathize with him; I'd gone to a boat party in Santa Monica with Margo last night and right now I was operating two hours of sleep and more caffeine than should be legally allowed.

When the show was about to air, one of the crew members directed Dad and I to a waiting room, where we viewed the program on a flat screen.

Lounging comfortably in my seat, I gazed expectantly at the screen as the camera did a close-up on Dalton Weiss.

"Hello, everyone and welcome to The Weiss Show," Dalton Weiss said showing off a set of over-whitened teeth. "Today with me is a very special guest. He's an award winning artist with two albums that have been certified platinum," Dalton continued, seemingly reading off a teleprompter.

"His latest single 'Louder Than You,' has been number one on the billboard charts for eight weeks and counting and has already been downloaded ten million times. Now if you haven't guessed, I'm talking about teen pop sensation, Mason McKnight."

The cameras switched to Mason, at which offered a practiced smile.

"It's so great to have you on the show," Dalton said excitedly.

"It's great being here."

"So, 'Louder Than You', great track, amazing beat, amazing message. Tell me, what was the inspiration behind it?"

Mason sat up in his chair. "I actually just wanted to write a song about finding your own voice . . ."

Dad tapped my shoulder then and asked me to get a soda from the vending machine, shoving a few quarters in my hand. Grudgingly, I sprung out of my seat, my eyes only leaving the screen when I'd closed the door behind me.

Fortunately, flat screens were situated at strategic places all over the studio. And there was one in the lobby, right above the vending machine. I continued to watch the interview as I placed the money in the slot, pressed the code and a few seconds later took out the soda from the dispenser.

" . . . where people constantly oppress each other," Mason was saying. "The song is about letting yourself being heard above all the craziness that's going on around; becoming louder than everyone else."

I couldn't stop the smile that I felt spread over my entire face. The sincerity at which he spoke those words surprised me, but in a good way. I could tell that it wasn't just some practiced line that he'd rehearsed. He actually meant what he said.

I found it very inspirational that he was making a positive statement with his music. I wished more singers would do that.

The interview pressed on and my gaze never wavered as the TV host asked Mason further questions about his music, teasing him at intervals.

Before I became aware, I was mindlessly sipping on the soda that was meant for Dad. I contemplated the bottle in my hand for a moment, and then with a careless shrug, I took another sip.