Chapter 14: Meeting the McKnights (part 2)

After lunch ended rather awkwardly, I went with Kelly to kitchen to help serve desert. It was just as well because after what happened with Mason, everyone had surely been left with a sour taste in their mouth.

When he'd stormed out of the dining room, we all went back to eating but there was a strained silence that seemed to hold the entire room captive. I had to force myself not to go after and ask what was wrong. His mom was right; he needed his space and time to reflect on whatever it was that had put him in such a bad mood.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that out there," Kelly was saying as she pulled out some small plates from an overhead cupboard.

I smiled understandingly, but the question as to why the mere mention of his father had caused such a livid response in him was something that I still couldn't quite grasp. In all the conversations we'd had, Mason never talked much about his family let alone his father.

Today, however, I was determined to find out more.

Kelly set the plates out on the counter and brought out a pie that sat on large platter. She then began cutting it into big slices.

"It's okay," I said dismissively, "Mason can overreact sometimes."

Kelly sighed. "Well, he wasn't overreacting this time."

"Really?" I asked feigning indifference.

"His relationship with his father has always been rocky, especially when his music career started taking off."

Frowning, I turned fully in her direction. "Is that why he gets those panic attacks?"

Kelly's eyes widened. "He still has those?!"

I nodded, surprised that she didn't know he was still suffering from panic attacks. From the looks of it, it seemed that Mason's panic attacks were something that had been going on for a long while now.

Her head downcast, she stopped what she was doing and placed the cutter at the edge of the platter.

What I'd told her must have come as a complete shock to her, and I almost regretted mentioning it, seeing how distraught she'd suddenly become.

I did feel like I was kind of snitching on Mason, but Kelly was his mother and she deserved to know.

Kelly exhaled loudly. "I didn't . . . I shouldn't have mentioned his father."

I could tell she was internally beating herself up about it.

I placed a hand lightly on her shoulder. "You couldn't have known."

"But I should have, Star!" Kelly raised her head, running her hands through her hair, desperately. "I should've."

I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. Thankfully, she spoke a few moments later.

"When he hit it big, Mason wanted us all to live in Beverley Hills. But Hollywood, the fame and everything that came with it, I just couldn't do it. I needed to think of Ellie too."

Kelly started placing the sliced pieces of pie into separate plates. What she said next threw me completely off guard. "I'm glad he's got you, though. I saw you too out there. You seem like a nice girl, I'm sure you'll keep his head above the clouds."

"I'm not––We're not dating," I stuttered, nervously tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

"Okay," she said, but he tone was disbelieving. "Dating or not, you are the first girl he's ever brought home so that must count for something. It must mean you're very special to him.