Chapter Six

The last few weeks have been strange. I've lived alone for the past seven years and I've loved it – in fact I never thought I'd enjoy living with someone and yet Warin being here has felt completely natural. I've been teaching him everything I can about being a witch and although he started off pretty rough, he's shaping up to be a decent student. He's eager to learn and when he gets something wrong he's not afraid to try it again until he gets it right. I've heard him in the late hours of the night practicing spells I've taught him and even some that he's found on his own. I must say, it's the cutest thing when he's successful in casting one because he tries to muffle his cheers of joy but I can still hear him jumping around the room in excitement.

We haven't done much in the way of harnessing his exact powers yet but today is the day. I think we've both been more comfortable with the "beginners" stuff, but if he's going to actually be of assistance to me when trouble comes I need him to be able to depend on and believe in the natural powers he possesses.

The good news is Warin is absolutely fascinated with all things magic related, especially where his parents and his connection to them and their magic is concerned. His first night here I awoke later that morning to find him asleep on the couch, the witch's registry laying across his chest, open to his family's lineage. A notepad filled with notes and questions lay near his left hand and a pen lay on the floor just below his dangling right, his fingers limply reaching for it as he slept.

The first thing we did once he woke up was go over nearly every family member's lineage, studying the symbols that represent the magic they – and now he – possessed. I don't know what every symbol means, just the ones that I've discovered within myself and the obvious ones but I can tell Warin is a very powerful witch in his own right, he just doesn't know it yet.

One thing that remained consistent was his lineage of familiars. We uncovered that the members of his family since the beginning of his family tree died off from various reasons and always in pairs, all the way down to his parents. When I asked him how they passed he looked at me with such disdain before flipping the question on me. The conversation died from there and we never revived it.

"How are you this morning?" I ask walking through the living room to the kitchen. I have to get to work if we want to get any magic done today, it's my turn to make breakfast for us and according to Warin's comments about my last two attempts fixing bowls of cereal don't count.

"I couldn't be better," he replies in a chipper tone that doesn't sound natural.

Obviously, I don't know him well, but when someone is living with you 24/7 for weeks you tend to pick up on a few things.

A frown replaces my previous expression before I can stop it, drawing the truth out of Warin.

"Fine," he says in his normal deep gravely tone, "I'm trying to I don't know...pep it up more. You said I need to have clean, clear energy before I can attempt any of my destructive magic."

Giggling, I whisk eggs in a bowl, shaking my head. "Destructive magic, huh?"

Warin nods, "That's what it's called in Skyrim. The fire, lightening, ice – it's all destructive magic."

My laugh is full on now as I continue to cook. "I know what you're talking about I've just never heard another witch call it that. I suppose it is fitting though. More fitting than calling it anything else."

The conversation slows as I finish up a breakfast of french toast and scrambled eggs. We ran out of bacon yesterday and neither of us have gone to the store. We've been holed up in this house for practically a month with no company but our own. Even Dylan hasn't stopped by. Anytime we visit, I go to her because I don't know how to explain having Warin in my house.