Chapter Seven

Snaps of crackling fire surround me at every turn. It feels as if I'm trapped in a box of fire, every step I take I'm met with a blazing wall of flames. Thick curtains of black smoke fill the room and clog my lungs with every labored breath. I hear screams around me and yet I can't see anyone, I can't even see an inch in front of my face. Sounds of wood cracking and crashing to the ground behind me spark newfound fear in my heart. I whip around towards the noise, my breathing and heart rate speeding as I tip closer into the unknown. Ignoring the burn in my lungs from the smoke and the sweat on my brow from the fire's heat, I squint into the blackness.

Groans sound from the ruins forcing a surprised gasp from my throat. From the ashes rise two charred bodies, one only slightly shorter than the other. Their movements are stiff and slow initially but as they gain their balance they turn slowly in my direction. I stare open mouthed into unseeing eyes, dark empty holes where eyes should reside glare back at me. Their groans grow louder as they move forward with jagged, twitchy movements. The only thought in my mind is to run but as I turn to retreat a wall of fire shoots up, blocking my path. Tears well in my eyes but I refuse to shed them – I have to get out of here. Waving my hands frantically at the walls of flames enclosing around me, I try to force my magic, any magic to come forth, but nothing happens. Peering over my shoulder I see the shorter of the figures pointing directly at me. There's no mistaking their intentions when his action causes an angered moan to rupture from the taller figure. Tears flow freely now, streaking down my face in hot streams almost as blazing as the fire surrounding me.

"Please," I scream, near breathless as the comforter thick smoke in the room blocks my lungs.

As the word escapes my throat the wall of fire breaks just enough for my escape. The tunnel of flames parts like the red sea as I run. My breathing is raspy now, it's next to impossible to grip onto my next breath but I must. I see a door at the end of the tunnel – my way of escape. The moans and groans of the two figures grow louder as I run, overpowering the roar of the fire surrounding me but I don't look back.

I hit the door with as much force as a linebacker, immediately grabbing the handle but instantly letting the burning hot metal go. I scream at the pain in my hand but don't let it stop me from my pursuit. Rushing to the windows within the room I try to break them out but with every kick of the glass I'm met with the defiant sound of shatterproof material.

One look over my shoulder has me crying again – the two figures haven't given up on their chase either. Their movements are reminiscent of zombies, short and sharp but much faster. Within moments they've closed the distance between us and backed me into a corner. As I try and fail to use my magic again, I come to the realization that whatever they're going to do to me is practically already done. Even though my heart is filled with fear, I force myself to accept this, to accept my punishment.

My tears fall silently as the figures stagger closer towards me, bringing the fire behind them with every step. I can see their faces now. The charred bits start to fall away like chiseled stone and as their features are revealed my crying and heart rate intensify.

"No," I stammer, my voice thick with tears, "No! No, please! I'm sorry! Please don't!"

The fire behind them grows closer, rumbling so loudly I can't hear myself think. The two men seem to be a part of the flames and yet they've shed their burnt flesh right before my eyes, revealing a sight much worse than being burned alive. I slam my eyes shut just as they reach their unmarred arms out for me, holding me in place so we all go up in flames together. I feel my skin begin to blister and swell at the intensity of the flames around me and scream out but I refuse to open my eyes. However, even with my eyes closed tight I still see the brown eyes of my once charred captor. His eyes gleam with a look of retribution as I feel his hand grip around the tendons of my throat.