Part 1

Buffy was dead.

The key word in that sentence being was.

And after a summer of aloof moping on that fact (a regrettable dance with Xander) and a new cute haircut- the slayer was back.

Back to sitting in a graveyard at 10 o'clock on a school night waiting for a vampire that was currently a no show. She sighed a familiar sigh. This vamp was costing her some valuable face time with the one and only Angel- the dishy prince of darkness.

She would give it another half hour before officially giving up on this corpse.

It was at that moment the earth split in the path of a clawing hand. Its nails long and predatory, its skin pale as paper over blue veins.

But as it clawed the air haphazardly it became obvious that Mark Jacobs was stuck. With a breath of exasperation Buffy leant down and grabbed the hand to pull with all her strength and haul the helpless vamp up. He stood in his funeral attire and blew the soil from his mouth as he dusted himself off.

''thanks.'' He coughed.

''yeah no problem.'' Buffy said with little patience. She was no demon herself- she couldn't kill a helpless person. Well vampire.

Still she rolled her eyes as he looked up at her doing a double take as the realisation of who she was dawned.

It was then that the fight was meant to ensue. She got into her fighting stance. It was then that she was supposed to take out this vibrating energy she had on this undead fiend. But instead it was then that Mark Jacobs tripped. His yellow eyes bulged from his gnarled face as his chest was penetrated by the large wooden stake in Buffy's hand.

The cloud of ash that he exploded into only served as a minor annoyance to her. And just like that he was gone and suddenly Buffy's night was looking up.

She ran to the gravestone where she had stashed her bag of clothes to change into. A lemon top and pair of leather pants. She ducked into an open mausoleum to change. It was grey as most were. Nothing unusual about it- just a familiar name on one of the plaques; Elizabeth.

Gosh. She hadn't thought about Lizzie in a long time. A girl she almost hated when she was young. A girl she sobbed for when she was gone.

''poor Lizzie...'' Buffy felt her heart twinge at the memories. But she quickly buried the pain as she so often did. ''sorry Lizzie- but tonight I need my A game.'' With her outfit change done she left the tomb and those melancholy memories behind her to seek out her boyfriend-ish vampire.

England.

''I really don't understand why I have to go'' I almost wined in a tone that even I was getting bored of.

''because as the slayer you have a responsibility to go where evil is congregating. And as the new slayer you must prove yourself to be of use to the council.'' My watcher spoke with irritation. He was an aging man now and he had little patience for my moaning.

''yes, of course...'' I resigned with little enthusiasm. I had prepared for so long to become the next slayer. And after ten years of training and studying I had finally heard the call. But it was a double edged blade. With my awakening it meant that the last slayer had died. Buffy summers had died. My cousin.

The image of my poor Aunt Joyce's face flitted across my mind.

I brushed back me platinum fringe in defeat. Running my hand through my hair I looked around the stuffy and cosy Galway county cottage that had been my home for so long. I walked around trying to conjure all the good memories I had of these rooms before I left for good.

I didn't have much hair left after this weeks cropped pixie cut and it was probably for the best because I would have pulled the bastard out if I thought it would keep me from flying over an ocean to the literal Hellmouth.

''your right Sebastian you're always right'' I smiled at the middle aged man with salt and pepper hair. His stern expression softened just slightly as it often did when we made up. ''you've been right for 10 years and you'll probably be right for the next hundred.'' I laughed and his wrinkles deepened into an amused smile. It was a melancholy affair to say the least. Saying goodbye was always hard and now I was doing it all over again.

''now Beth, you remember what you are to do, yes?'' his expression reset to its normal stoic look as he continued his mothering routine absently packing necessities, that I would never use, for my new life. Including a mountain of books he insisted would not be available to my new watcher.

''yes sir!'' I mock saluted. He wasn't impressed. So I answered seriously in my saccharine voice. '' I go to the airport- get on a plane- get on a bus and ride it straight into hell.'' I grinned. But the worry lines were deeply set on Sebastian's olive skin. ''Sebastian- please don't worry. This is my destiny and we can't fight it. I just wished you be there alongside me...''

He breathed deeply before facing me with greying chocolate eyes. In the silence we both looked at each other knowing full well why I had to have a new watcher. Sebastian was getting old. He had left active service to take care of and train me and in that time his body had begun to deteriorate. His olive skin had greyed, his eyes had clouded and as I watched his hands sort through my luggage I saw their limited movement. He was going on his own journey and I wouldn't be able to follow him. he was going to be a thing of legend- a watcher who got to retire.

In a display we reserved only for the most remarkable occasions I wrapped my arms around Sebastian and he in turn embraced me in a rare hug. Our last hug. I inhaled his distinct sent of sandalwood and sage and giggled under my breath at how the now 5'5 man fitted under my raised chin.

''keep safe Elizabeth.'' He said quietly as if not to disturb the air.

''as the moon...'' I whispered.