Part 2

It was a 30 hour flight to LAX- again 30 hour flight. Then a 4 hour bus ride to the god forsaken- middle of the desert -town of Sunnydale.

It was dusk before our bus finally disembarked at the depot. And I was exhausted. The little sleep I had on the plane was not sufficient. I quickly grabbed my trunks from the bus and a suitcase to begin dragging them towards the bathroom indicated nearby. The bus driver may have thought to offer me a hand but once he saw that I made little work of dragging the three containers his mouth snapped shut and he quickly went about his business.

In the bathroom I looked at my ghastly reflection. The jet lag had not been kind. My eyes had dark rings marring my usually blushing skin. I worked hard on my beauty regime and didn't care to see it marred by a lack of sleep. Though as I sighed I realised that I would probably be seeing this more often now that I was an active slayer. Glancing back at the mirror I smile wryly at least the dark brings out the red in my sienna eyes.

A creak alerted me to the door as it swung open with the wind. I went back to studying my face and prodding an area I felt was going to turn into a pimple soon.

When I felt the hand on my shoulder instinct kicked in- no reflection meant one thing. I grabbed the assailant's wrist to turn it around and bend them to the floor. A growl escaped his mouth as he turned his scrunched and vicious expression on me. He was an old vamp with grey hair- very odd.

He kicked my legs out from under me and I landed hard on the floor. The air escaped my lungs quickly as I gasped for more. He stood over me with a pleased look on his face.

''sorry girl- but I'm hungry'' with those words he bent down to take his meal. My hand had landed beneath me and I squirmed still gasping as I struggled to find it. When my fingers grasped the hilt he was almost touching me.

I smiled brightly. ''sorry demon – but I ain't no girl.'' With a swift and rehearsed movement, I pulled the stake from my back and plunged it deep into his chest. the sudden ash cloud clogged my breathing and I began coughing. Then with the realisation of what was actually going into my mouth, I sprang up and furiously rinsed out my mouth at the sink. Human ash was not what I wanted on my tongue.

After I washed I searched my bag for another stake- the other having dusted with the vamp. It seemed I would be needing a lot more if I was to wrestle the demon problem in this town. I placed the wood into the empty metal hilt. It was engraved with crosses and runes so I was protected from someone using it against me in a fight. I carefully tucked it back into my waistband and made my way into the night.

It was by the cemetery that I again withdrew the small piece of paper from my pocket and examined the address to make sure I had it right. But even if I did I had no idea where I was. I was lost. I heaved a deep sigh of mounting exhaustion and planted myself on the wall dropping the cases with a loud thud of annoyance.

I mean I'm sorry I may be chosen but I'm not psychic-I think.

I looked around and didn't see a soul. I was contemplating leaving my luggage to find a payphone when a shadow had me leap from my sitting position into a fighting stance- fists up.

I hadn't expected to be confronted by a rather dishy man of bronze hair and striking features surrounding hypnotic light chocolate brown eyes. He stared at me quizzically. After a moment I remembered that I had to act normal- there were people around now. I wasn't hiding in the hills anymore, I had to learn to hide in plain sight.

I relaxed my stance but not so much that he could catch me off guard- he was still a stranger. He smiled uneasily at me and it was stunning. Gosh- I hope every guy here isn't this good looking. I won't be able to work.