15 | soufflé

Zachary wasn't alone that afternoon. He was sitting with two attractive young women. They looked like models, polished and put together, unlike me.

Where I was dressed in a pair of faded blue jeans and simple pastel pink T-shirt, his friends gleamed as though they'd stepped out of a designer catalogue.

From the bags strewn across the floor, I knew that they'd been out shopping in the morning.

One of the girls was blonde-haired and slim, her hair was long, and she was wearing a Grecian inspired tunic dress.

The other girl was a brunette, with a cropped pixie cut. She wore a sleek body-con dress, which accentuated her curves to perfection. She looked like a vamp.

Zachary himself was laughing at one of their jokes, his eyes level with the brunette's as she told her story with animation. He didn't see me heading towards him, but he certainly appeared to be distracted, based on the way his eyes were flickering in the direction of the counter.

I'd just started my shift.

'Good morning,' I said, once I'd arrived at their table. He looked away from the brunette and smiled politely at me, giving me a quick glance-over.

'Hi Candice. How are you today?' His tone was pleasant, almost respectful.

I was too intrigued as to the sudden switch in his behaviour to give way to my surprise. Instead, I pushed it out of my thoughts.

'Not too bad. I had a chance to have a lie-in today...' I was smiling as I recalled the moment.

The feel of Jonny's lips against my skin, the sunlight streaming in through his curtains, our tangled limbs against his crisp, clean sheets.

It felt like the start of a new day, peaceful and promising.

We'd talked about nothing in particular, but agreed we'd eat pancakes for breakfast. He knew of a cafe near his flat which made out-of-this-world pancakes, and he was right — as always.

'You deserve it, no doubt.' Zachary watched me closely. 'Even when you're angry, you're still willing to give me a smile.'

'Thank you.' I rewarded him with a smile. It was the least I could do in the circumstances; after all, he'd paid me a compliment. It was good manners to be gracious about it. 'So, what can I get you and your friends?'

Meanwhile, his friends were looking at us curiously; their own smiles were stiff and tense as though my presence had disrupted their own bubble of carefree interaction.

'I'll have the egg-and-cheese soufflé.' He didn't even bother to glance at the menu.

Instead, he gave all his attention to me, in a daring way, arms slung across the shoulders of his girlfriends, who were staring at their menus.

'Right.' I noted his order down, my wrist shaking for some unknown reason. When I looked up, the girls were staring at each other, hapless, indecision on their pretty faces.

'If you're still undecided, I can come back later...' I said, tucking my pen behind my ear.

'Normally, I don't eat sweet things, but how do the chocolate-cherry cinnamon rolls taste?' the blonde asked me.

'Not too sweet. A good balance between the chocolate and cherry,' I said smoothly. My dad drummed it into us to be ready for questions about our goods and prepare to sell the product as unobtrusively as we could.

'Okay,' she grinned prettily, 'that's what I'll have. Thanks.'

'How about you, Suzanne?' Zachary tapped the brunette on the shoulder.

Suzanne was biting her thumb as she leaned through the menu, confusion etched on her face. 'I really shouldn't, Zach. I'm on a diet. Why'd you take us here anyway?'

'Because I thought I'd treat my girls to something different. God knows, you didn't have to tag along with me.'

Blonde's green eyes were glittering with humour. 'But we're your slaves for today, baby.'

She opened her bag, pulled a mirror out, snapped it open, touched up her make-up. This was all done in such a seamless way.

'That's right, Jess,' he yawned.

I wondered if he was in a relationship with them or if they were just friends?

I hoped it was the latter option, but what business was it of mine if he decided to fool around with two girls at the same time. If they were fine with it, then he wasn't doing anything wrong. If he thought I was shocked, he obviously didn't know me too well.

'Um, I'll have...' Suzanne wavered.

Zachary shook his head with a quick smile. 'Slow.'

Suzanne punched him on the shoulder which he found hilarious. 'Fuck off, Zach. You choose for me then.'

'No worries...' I exhaled. 'I'll come back when you're ready.'

'She'll have the smoked salmon toast with goats cheese,' Zachary was quick to say, handing me his menu.

I paused, staring quizzically at him, but accepting his menu and collecting Suzanne and Jess's.

'Are you happy with that?' I turned to Suzanne, who was glancing down at her phone.

'Yeah. I trust you, daddy.' She winked at Zachary.

He lounged back, fingers drumming a consistent beat on the wooden surface.

Suzanne motioned with her index finger towards her lips and he just smiled, unmoved.

She leaned forward in her chair and caught his face in her hands and began to snog him. He didn't seem to mind too much. He was kissing her back eagerly, his breath deep and ragged.

Jess was looking on in amusement, totally unbothered by the couple in front of her, probably used to their displays of affection.

'Any drinks?' I said, glancing at my watch.

'Water. Just water, please,' Jess said. 'It's so hot outside today.'

'Yes, it is,' I murmured, shoving their menus under my arm and swivelling around to head back to the counter, where I could forget about the mental image of Zachary kissing another person.

I didn't think I'd ever say this but... perhaps it was better if he continued to dine solo in future.

 perhaps it was better if he continued to dine solo in future