39 | sold

Distractions were plentiful during the weeks ahead. My thoughts were soon absorbed with other pressing concerns. Sitting exams, my occasional shifts at the bakery and helping my father with his plans for Heather's wedding cake. What time did I have to think about Zachary? I was thankful that time seemed to go by so fast. Jonny had been a great help during this time; I was having panic attacks and my stress levels had gone up, but, I felt that with him by my side I could accomplish anything I set my mind on. I know he presented himself as a drifter, but he was always encouraging and understanding.

Was I tempted to break up with him? No, I didn't want to be that sort of person. He was a good friend and my boyfriend — I didn't want to hurt him. However, there was the niggling feeling that maybe I had been rash in my initial assessment of Zachary. Maybe there was more to him that met the eye. However, as I said, I made it my aim not to allow my mind to head down that murky corridor.

Life was good as it was. I didn't like my life to be too complicated.

* * *

I had one more exam in a couple of days and I would be free to go on my summer break. I was looking forward to it after the weeks of torture. Just one more exam. It was the end of an era — I would never return back to school again. It was a scary prospect, but a part of me was excited to see what was to come after the summer. I had already made plans for summer break. Jonny and I would go away for two weeks somewhere (he was keeping it a surprise) and, afterwards, head to France. My father had spoken with his friend Clement, who'd kindly agreed to allow me to stay with him and his family. Dad thought it would be a nice treat for me after all my hard work. I was really looking forward to it. I hadn't seen Clement or his family for a while. I didn't even know if they would remember me...

As I was settling into my hammock in the garden, the radio playing in the background, and the sun splashing down on me, I reached across for my notes. It was a shame to waste a day studying inside when I could have taken advantage of the delights of summer.

And it seemed like another person had a similar idea. I hadn't heard from Zachary for a few weeks. Presumably he was busy with his exams as I was, so I answered his call with interest. I wanted to know how he was getting along in his life.

'Candice,' he said, 'Have you finished with your exams yet?' Straight to the point.

'I've got one left.' I glanced wearily at my Geography notes.

'Lucky you,' Zachary said. 'I've still got a handful of papers left. Then I can go back to my usual routine.'

'Break a leg. I'm sure you'll ace them.' I reached for my glass of lemonade; it was sweating from the heat. I took a long sip, allowing my tastebuds to be soothed by the cool drink.

'Thanks,' he responded; I could hear the anxiety in his voice. 'Listen, I'm a bit frazzled, as you can probably hear. So, I wondered if you'd like to join me for lunch. I hear there's a fun fair in town. You'll probably enjoy it.'

I narrowed my eyes. 'I thought you said you had exams. Shouldn't you be...' I pretended to be searching for the right word, 'um, revising?'

'So?' was his typically nonchalant reply.

I had to laugh at his utter disregard for my circumstances. He was a total rich boy; although, he was charming in his spoilt, self-assured way.

'I don't know if that would be wise,' I toyed with him, 'and since you said I was smart, I don't want to have to disappoint you by failing my geography exam. Do you see where I'm getting at?'

'I never took you for a swot,' he replied. I shook my head, unwilling to take the bait, which would only allow added fuel to his gleeful taunts.

'I took your encouragement on board,' I said in a serious tone, trying to stop myself from grinning and and possibly giving the game away, 'I want to apply myself. I don't think you, Zach, my dear friend...'

'I'm your dear friend now? Candice, don't stop. I'm enjoying this...'

'You're dearer to me than all my possessions combined.' I rolled my eyes.

He laughed.

'I don't think you'd want me to just drop everything for you?' I finished off.

He conceded defeat, but not before adding that 'lunch would be his treat'.

I was sold.