35 | meet the parents

'You must be Candice! Welcome, welcome!' the woman, Mrs Pollack, said. She looked to be in her late forties to early fifties. Although, there was no sign of much age or stress on her features. She took care of herself, that much was obvious.

I smiled nervously. 'It's lovely to meet you, Mrs Pollack. Jonny had told me so much about you,' I said these words quickly so it sounded like one word ala 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'.

Mrs Pollack released a light laugh. 'Oh, I can see that Jonny has probably told you all sorts of horror stories.' She darted a fond glance at her son, who was grinning at us both, watching our interaction. 'Oh, and by the way, please call me Maureen. There's no need for titles in our household.'

I took a few deep breaths. 'Oh right. Maureen it is.'

Maureen stepped aside to let us in. She guided me in to the entryway of her home. Jonny kissed his mother on the cheek and she embraced him warmly, remarking on how much he'd grown since she'd last seen him and for him 'to get a haircut, for god's sake'. He assured his mother he would soon, but in Jonny's world that meant six months down the line.

Maureen peered at me. 'My, you're a small thing, aren't you. I expected you to be rather... ' She trailed off.

Jonny looked mortified on my behalf. 'Mum! You can't say that.'

'Well, I do a lot of exercise...' I said lamely. Inside I was feeling like she had me under her microscope; she can't have thought I would be chubby just because I worked in my dad's bakery, could she?

Besides, wasn't it a tad rude to comment on someone's weight or appearance?

She must have noticed that she might have said something offensive, because again she laughed lightly and patted my shoulder as though she thought that physical touch could close the distance between us. 'I meant no offence, dear. It's nice that you have a nice figure. I'm envious, to be honest.' She gestured at herself.

Maureen was by no means fat. She was slightly plump around her middle, but she looked healthy. It was easy to imagine her in a primary school classroom teaching a group of under elevens their times tables and reading them Roald Dahl stories. Even her honey-blonde hair had bounce and life. She had a warm smile which could light up the room, much like her youngest son's.

'That's okay. I love your house. It's like cupcake frosting,' I giggled, giving Jonny a look as if to say 'that's what you've been hiding'. He winked and gave me a naughty smile. I relaxed as I took in the ornaments and nicknacks on the side tables and walls as Maureen lead me through to the dining room. There were photographs of the Pollacks on holiday and Jonny and his older brother Kevin as school boys. Kevin looked like his father while Jonny took after Maureen. It was a nice contrast.

'Thank you, Candice,' Maureen was saying, 'We bought it twelve years ago this July. It was my husband's idea to move to the coast. We wanted to raise our sons away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm sure Jonny's told you about his childhood. I don't need to elaborate, do I?'

Jonny shook his head. 'It was a good choice on both your parts, Mum. But Candy and I have both had a long journey...' He slumped onto one of the coaches, patting the seat beside him as an indication to me.

I followed his lead and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. His mother, who was arranging the peonies on the table, stared at us thoughtfully. 'Jonny tells me your father is a baker. He works at your father's bakery. I assume you two met each other there? You must be very young? Sixteen?'

Jonny made a face. He widened his eyes in mock shock. 'Mother, I'm not picking up GCSE students...'

I laughed properly for the first time. 'No, I'm seventeen almost eighteen.'

A look of obvious relief passed across Maureen's face. 'I mean, I'm glad your a sixth former, but your dad's okay with you two dating?' She continued with the interrogation. I realised, with a sinking heart, that this was not going to be a straightforward evening after all.

I didn't immediately answer her question; I had expected his parents to ask that question, but I just didn't really know how to phrase it so it wouldn't seem like my father would disapprove of me having a relationship with a work colleague. He might have been disappointed; a gut feeling was telling me that he would be upset if Jonny broke up with me during my exams. It was hard to tell with my father. He liked Zachary, for god's sake! How did that make sense? The guy was the arch manipulator, albeit he knew how to keep up a respectable facade.

'Candy and I have decided that Jeremy, her dad, doesn't need to know for now! We've been dating for a few months now.'

'So why the big secret?' Maureen said, her smile was frosty as she looked at me.

'Um...' My mind was at a complete blank. I was afraid I'd already made a bad impression with her; what exactly could I say to get myself out of the situation? I could have told the truth, but I got the impression she was going to misconstrue whatever I said. Sometimes it was better to let people think whatever they wanted; it's not like you could change their mind. 'My dad is against workplace romances, especially when I'm supposed to focus on my final year of A-levels.'

Jonny released a worried sigh. He was staring at me like I'd said I was sleeping with someone else.

'Oh really!' Maureen straightened up; her eyes were burning into me. As I'd predicted, I feared I'd said the wrong thing.

'Just checked in on the bees—' The door opened suddenly as a middle-aged man with salt and pepper brown hair rushed into the room, in what looked like a beekeeper's hat, which he took off, his cheeks were ruddy and he had the same bright eyes as Jonny's.

'Jon Jon!' He grinned widely when he saw his son, then he did a double take when he saw me. 'Is this the banker's daughter?' he blurted out.

Jonny groaned. 'Jeremy would be aghast at the suggestion.'

'My dad's a baker,' I said, chuckling a little. It was an easy mistake. And it wasn't the first time I'd heard some confusion over my dad's profession.

Mr Pollack made an ooh sound. He tapped the side of his head as though reprimanding himself. 'Silly old me! Yes, you're the baker's daughter.'

Maureen was smiling at all this; her lips curved into a wry smile as she gave me her attention once more. 'I appreciate your candour, Candice. I suppose Jonathan has always had a naughty streak... a bit like his father.'

Jonny laughed a little; he kept looking at me nervously. His grip tightened around my shoulders. This was the first time I'd seen him look so ruffled. Mr and Mrs Pollack smiled at us tightly. And me? I just wished I could get out of that living room as fast as possible...

 And me? I just wished I could get out of that living room as fast as possible