Ephemeral

Have you ever had that feeling that everything is slipping away from your hand and you can't do anything about it so you just stand there feeling every bit of yourself turning numb.

I have always took life for granted. I didn't think that people around me are going to disappear anytime soon. But today, as I stand in front of a large brown door, I have realised that everything is ephemeral.

I know you're confused. What brown door? I'll tell you everything but first let me introduce you to the love of my life Tara. She came into my life out of nowhere, literally. I was on a trip with my friends when I first saw her. She was sitting all by herself in a small cafe with a large book in her hand. She would occasionally take a sip from her cup and would try to tame the curly mess which was blocking the book from her view. I was simply awestruck by the sight. I tried to look away but it was too hard to take my eyes off of her. And to make it even worse, she looked up from the book and gazed directly at me. I froze. I forgot how to breathe and I felt my knees starting to buckle under me.

I thought she would snap at me for staring at her like a creep but she surprised me by smiling at me. That smile was a last straw, my legs automatically started walking towards her table. I didn't know what I would say to her but I couldn't bring myself to stop. As I reached her table, I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"Is that 'The Great Gatsby'?" I asked and pointed at her book.

That simple question changed everything. It worked as a ticket to a long conversation with her. At the end, we exchanged our numbers and everything is history after that. Now I have a little curly mess just like her running around the house.

Everything was going well in my life until I got a call from someone saying that my wife has met with an accident. I was too shocked to react on the news. After overcoming the initial stage of shock, I immediately rushed to the hospital.

Now as I stand in front of a large brown door of a operation theatre, I have only one thought in mind, "Maybe happiness is ephemeral and you never know what the future has in store for you."

I paced back and forth in the corridor and waited patiently for the operation to get over. Every minute feels like an hour and I couldn't help but think about all those times I have spent with her. Suddenly I was pulled out of my reverie when the door of the operation theatre opened.

"She is out of danger."

Those five words were music to my ears. It was like finding water in the middle of a desert. Today life proved me wrong. It taught me that ephemeral is a myth. If you keep faith, you can overcome the temporariness in your life and can achieve great things. And the smiling face of my wife is perfect manifestation of that.

***

Thanks for reading :)

Do vote and comment if you loved the story!!