Learning to Love

Shreya was sleeping peacefully under the warmth of her fluffy blanket. The whether was chilly outside. It was that time of winter when you want nothing but the warmth of your bed. You wish you can just snuggle in your blanket all day long and sip hot coffee while reading a book.

Suddenly the alarm buzzed and Shreya lets out a groan. She wanted to sleep some more but she knew that she needs to wake up and cook lunch and do the chores of the house before she leaves for the office. She yawned lazily and looked to her right. Her eyes falls on a handsome man sleeping next to her. Sometimes she forgets that she is married now.

Shreya married to Jay a month ago. Their marriage was arranged by their parents. When she saw him for the first time, her first thought was, "He looks more handsome in real than in a photograph." She knew only few things about him. He worked in an IT company for 4 years and recently he had started his own IT company with his friend who also has IT background. She was impressed.

Shreya always wanted to marry someone who can stand on his own feet without depending on others. She always thought that a man who has guts to leave his comfort zone and step into something new without worrying about the outcome, will always be there for her in every situation. He won't back down, no matter the situation.

She met him thrice before finally agreeing to marry him. Jay was always polite and easy to talk to. The conversations would flow easily between them without any of them feeling awkward. Shreya was impressed with his chivalry and his calm demeanor. She had many doubts in her mind before saying yes.

What if it doesn't work between them after marriage? What if she doesn't fall in love with him? What if they are not compatible? What if she doesn't likes him after marriage? What if he is just pretending to be nice and chivalrous? What if. What if. What if. Ugh.

"You know you are the fifth girl I have seen since I started seeing potential brides for me." Jay spoke out of nowhere at their third meeting. They were sitting in a cosy cafe. "I think that I don't have to see more girls now." He continued.

Shreya immediately knew what he was hinting. "H-How are you so sure about us?" She was still confused. She liked him but she was still weighing the pros and cons of marrying him.

"I just am. See, there is no way that we can be 100% sure. We are always going to have some doubt in our mind which will pull us back. We both have shared every information about us with eachother. I accept your past and I'm sure you accept mine too. And I think the things that we don't know about eachother will be an element of surprise in our marriage. I know all surprises won't be good. Some of them might be bad, but that is life Shreya. It's all about accepting eachothers flaws and learning to love them for who they are." Jay was looking at her for some reaction.

He wanted to marry her. He didn't know why he was so sure about her. He just was. He liked how she was independent and carefree. She worked at an accountancy firm where she handled the accounts of foreign clients. On weekends, she would cook, read books and doodle. Plus she was very beautiful and had a great sense of humour. He was mesmerized.

"Yes."

"W-What?" Jay was confused.

"Yes I'll marry you." Shreya knew that she was about to take a leap of faith but she was confident that she won't regret it.

Now as she looks at him sleeping next to her, she smiles. It has been an amazing month. They decided to take it slow. They wanted to get intimate only after they fall in love with eachother. Right now they are taking baby steps. Dinner dates, romantic picnics, lazy balcony conversations, sunday cooking, and so on.

Shreya got out of bed and headed towards the bathroom. She quickly took a bath and entered the kitchen to start preparing for the lunch. She cooked and packed both of their tiffins and began dusting and cleaning. It was her daily routine now. She would wake up, cook lunch and do some of the dusting before getting ready for the office. Meanwhile she gets ready, Jay wakes up and makes coffee for both of them which they sip at the balcony before leaving for their respective offices. Dinner was Jay's department because he usually comes home early. Perks of being your own boss.