4: Kings Cross

~ Hermione ~

Since Tom is basically not allowed anywhere he couldn't see me off onto the Hogwarts Express this morning. But Arabella could in his place.

We're currently standing in the middle of Kings Cross Station. I haven't run through the platform yet. I'm still waiting for Harry, Ron, and Ginny. They should be here at 11 and its 10:50.

"Hermione, remember your father and I love you. Don't spend all of your money in one go. Focus on studying. And write us once a week" Arabella said, sounding as if she raised me and this was a normal thing for her to do.

But it isn't. I only met my biological parents yesterday. And they happened to be Voldemort and his wife.

They gave me some spending money for Hogsmeade weekends and for the candy trolley aboard the Hogwarts Express. I don't get why Arabella would think I could spend it in one try but whatever.

"I know, I know. Don't worry" I said smiling at my biological mother.

"And be careful around Potter, okay? He caused the downfall of your father and wouldn't even blink if he had to do it again" Arabella said as if she knew Harry.

But she doesn't know him and she probably never will. I decide it would be best not to argue with her before I don't see her again until Christmastime.

"Alright" I said, giving her a half smile.

"Your father and I love you, sweetie. I'll be off so you can meet with your friends" Arabella said.

She gave me a quick kiss to the forehead; she isn't wearing lipstick today. Then she apparates away, probably back to the manor, back to her husband, back to my biological father.

~~~~

"Hermione!" A familiar voice yells.

I turn my head to see a raven haired boy and two red heads making their way towards me. Harry, Ron, and Ginny.

"Harry! It's so good to see you" I say honestly when he reaches me.

He gives me a quick hug. So do Ron and Ginny.

"Let's get this year started" Harry said grinning.

He runs into the platform and disappears, followed by Ron, then Ginny, and then I follow them last.

We all leave our luggage at the baggage car before entering the Hogwarts Express. Another year at Hogwarts. Should be fun.

We finally find an empty compartment close to the Slytherin side of the train. Too close for my liking but hey, Harry chose the compartment.

"Guys I would love to sit with you but a I need to find Dean" Ginny says before leaving the compartment.

Ginny and Dean are going out, apparently. I have no idea how that match happened and I don't really care to find out.

"That git better not hurt her" Ron basically growled.

If Dean does hurt her he'll have hell to pay from the entire Weasley clan. And half of Gryffindor house.

"Hermione, how was your summer? We barely heard from you" Harry said, sounding worried.

Harry is a great friend but I can't tell him the truth about me, not yet anyways. I don't even know how Ron would respond to the truth. I hope that they both wouldn't hate me.

"I..uh..had some family stuff but other then that my summer was fine. Yours?" I said.

I'm not even lying to him, I'm just not saying the full truth.

"It was fine. Dumbledore had me help him recruit a new teacher. Professor Horace Slughorn is his name" Harry says.

"What subject does he teach?" I ask curiously.

Dumbledore wouldn't have brought Harry along on something like that unless he really needed the help. Who is his Horace Slughorn?

"Potions, I think" Harry responds after a minute.

"What about ole' Snape? Does that mean we're finally rid of him?" Ron asks, basically bouncing with glee.

It's no secret that Ron absolutely despises Professor Snape. Most students do. But would Dumbeldore really replace Snape? Maybe he's gotten that Defense Against The Dark Arts position he's always wanted?

"I dunno" Harry responds.

"What if Snape is the new DADA professor and Slughorn is filling in the potions master position?" I asked no one in particular.

"Ugh, I actually like that class. And we don't have to deal with Umbridge this year" Ron moaned in complaint.

Hermione mentally cringes at the thought of Umbridge. The bitch deserve what she got, if not worse.

"Umbridge is worse than Snape, Ron. I would rather deal with him" Harry says honestly.

"Agreed" Hermione said, agreeing with one of her best friends.

"Alright, I know" Ron sighed.

I've always liked moments like these with the boys. Moments where we can act like normal teenagers, or as normal as wizards could get. Moments where they can forget the impending war between Voldemort and his Death Eaters versus the rest of the Wizarding World.

But now the war had gotten way too personal for Hermione. If her side lost, her two best friends would most likely be killed. If her side won, they would kill her father.

Madeline Jade Riddle.

My real name.

My choice.

Daughter to Tom and Arabella Riddle.

My curse.