Chapter 19

Shen placed a hand on the trembling shoulder of the deserter, his mouth forming words that were indecipherable from the boat. The pirate seemed to be having trouble staying afloat amidst the whack of the waves, yet Shen didn’t even seem to sway. On the face of the runaway was pure fear, his features contorted into a mask of pain. For a few brief minutes the entire crew of the Maelstrom flooded the railing and watched the mysterious exchange in deadly silence.

Shen raised his eyebrows. The deserter hesitated, then nodded.

And then their lips stopped moving and Shen grasped the man with his other hand, holding him still. He bought one palm to rest just over the man’s heart, spreading his fingers wide, gaze unfocused. Breathing and heart rate quickened aboard the Maelstrom, and Evanora fought the urge to cover her eyes out of dread.

What happened next was completely unexpected.

The deserter’s head lolled back towards the sky, a euphoric smile swallowing his face. Evanora’s jaw dropped open at the absolute contrast in outcomes. He looked overjoyed, as if he was the happiest man at sea. Such joy was so out of place in the imminence of his death that it appeared twisted and wrong.

The crowd on deck huddled more tightly together and the ship itself seemed to lean closer for a better view. Waves lapped against the sides, showering those on board with spray, but they paid it no attention. Every eye was fixed on the men in the water.

Face still relaxed into a grin, the deserter didn’t notice the terrible look of foreboding on Shen’s face, or the way he steadied his jaw in preparation. And perhaps it was better that way, for before there was time enough to scream, Shen moved forwards, took the man’s head into his solid hands and snapped his neck with a resounding crack. His body convulsed once, twice, and then sank heavily into death.

It was only Evanora who cried out in pain; the man’s lifeless body fell limply into the sea, disappearing into the blackness, his smile still haunting the remnants of his misted eyes.

Standing on deck in a state of shock, Evanora wobbled on her feet, lost her balance, and could not help but succumb to unconsciousness also.         

******************

“Wake up, Nora."

Evanora’s eyes cracked open to reveal the blurred lines of a figure leaning defensively above her.

“Terrian?” she whispered, reaching for his face as tentatively as if her dream would shatter at any sudden movement. “Is it you?”

The figure pulled back slightly and her view sharpened with the movement. With a jolt, she realised that this was not a dream. That the person before her was not the older brother she so missed, but someone infinitely worse.

“No, Nora. It’s me, Shen.”

At this realisation, the memories came rushing down upon her like an avalanche, crushing her so completely that she struggled for air and choked, trying desperately to sit.

“Careful!” Shen chuckled, laughing at her impatience. “You’re going to hurt yourself properly.”

Evanora glared at him through slitted eyes. She sharply slapped his hand which was resting on the pale skin of her arm- the very hand that had wrung that poor man’s neck- then thought twice and slapped his face also. His expression changed from amusement to annoyance in an instant and he pulled away.

“Well for a girl, you sure as hell slap like a-” he started angrily.

“You killed him!” Evanora shrieked, for once being the one to interrupt. “Whatever you did out there was a perversion of nature! I don’t know how you did it, but making someone look so ecstatic about death is warped and vile!”