Epilogue- The end of the beginning, and the beginning of the end

In the chilling fog of the night, the Struggler’s Strip grew marbled in shadow. A single wanted poster tore free from a bounty board and evaded the ground on a current of air. With edges crinkling like dry skin, it flickered between patches of light and shadow.

It was the port’s quiet hour; the lull that remained when the drunkards had slithered off to groan in bed and those left preferred to reminisce in silence. All was still, but not all was well. As the letter drifted past, a hand emerged from the darkness of an alley and spindly fingers crumpled the parchment, knuckles taught with ferocity.

“Kade Skyler,” read a scornful voice. “Notorious pirate and First Mate. Bountiful reward- dead or alive.”

A sharpened fingernail, stained black and burgundy from darkness and murder, slit through the paper where the pirate’s throat was outlined. From the shadows staggered a brigand cloaked in alcohol, bruised and battered by the pirate on the poster.

Jay Dartwood.

The beaten lines of his face sagged into a scowl. Whistling shrilly, he folded the paper in two and tucked it into his pocket. The air howling through his pursed lips alerted a jackdaw, slick black feathers backcombed by the sea breeze, which crash landed on the brittle stone ground and cawed eerily. Jay offered his arm and it hopped up onto the spike that replaced his wrist. He stroked its ebony breast as it pecked at the wood.

“That bastard betrayed the code, made a fool of me,” he spat, musing as if the ruffling of wings was an open ear. "An' all for what? Some bitch?"

He tried to picture the woman Kade's shipmate had described on that night. He imagined her as tall, slender, with long dark hair, and then he imagined her with ragged skin and blood and bruises, a sword through that pretty little chest of hers.

“I won’t rest until he be gettin’ his just reward fer the scars that be crossin’ me skin," he said. "They were right when they said I be dangerous."

The bird cawed shrilly and Jay narrowed his eyes. Removing his hand from the jackdaw’s plumage, he reached back into his pocket for the poster. His beaked confidante leaned forwards on its perch and watched in curiosity, wobbling slightly as Jay fumbled to unfold the sheet.

“Nothin’ boils the blood like revenge. An’ nothin’ satisfies the mind like the hunt. Skyler’ll plead for death as he watches me bare hands tear his little wench apart. An’ after I be finished with her, an’ after he’s suffered fer long enough, I’ll be more than happy to oblige.”

Once again, the pirate’s hand delved deeply into the pocket of his cloak, this time with darker purpose. Seconds later he removed a thin barrelled pistol, stroking his fingertips tenderly along the curves of the gunmetal. Meaning to shoot through the poster in his anger, he shook his arm to rid himself of the bird.

It did not budge, its talons gripping to the wood of his wrist spike in amused defiance. It was mocking him, taunting him. Just like Kade Skyler.

Jay had only to think the name before the gun was loaded, the bullet in place and the barrel aimed straight for the bird. He pulled the trigger without batting an eyelid, watching crimson stains creep over the sagging body of the jackdaw as it fell to the ground, deflated. One of its eyes rolled back from the impact of the bullet. A clawed foot jerked helplessly with the spasms of failing nerves. And, after a few desperate caws of agony, the bird was dead.

"Not so defiant now."

With a look of twisted glee swallowing his eyes, the pirate thrust his spike through the wanted poster and plunged the paper straight into the spilling carcass of the jackdaw. Slowly, the viscous blood oozed towards the middle, creeping inward towards Kade Skyler's face, blotting out everything in its path. Now satisfied, Jay Dartwood smiled grimly to himself as he strode over the dock to barter himself a ship.

The chase was on, Kade Skyler, the chase was on.

****

THE END.

(an)- Firstly, thank you to all of the wonderful readers and commenters who have stuck by me throughout the entirety of this story. You know who you are, and you are all amazing.

Secondly, yes, there may be a sequel one day. I don't think the full story ends here for any of my characters (except Eric and Drago, of course *cries*). A sequel depends, however, on the success of this story and the feedback I receive, as well as the time I have this year between exams in which I can write.

Thirdly, I can now enter this into the Wattpad Prize competition. Wow I am nervous.

Fourthly, finally, please give a final surge of votes, comments and appreciation if you liked the ending!