One Last Time

Waking up on the morning that my father and his troops were supposed to be sent out was one of the hardest things that I had ever done. So much I wished to just roll over in my bed and rest assure in the fact that my Lafayette would be safe and not shipped out. I rose from bed somberly, Eliza doing the same. It would only be us two, since it was incredibly early and only ones who had someone to say goodbye to were to go to see them off. We dressed simply, skipping the petticoats and heels and opting instead for simple dress, a pale yellow one for me, and a light pink one for Eliza. I brushed out my hair, letting it lay flat and straight, and swiped on some light makeup. I laced up Eliza's dress, and she did the same for me, before I grabbed a hold of the letter that I had written to Lafayette for him to read when he first got to camp, enclosed with the address he could reach me at the Schuyler residence and at my grandmother's house in Virginia. Once we were both ready, we walked downstairs and into the carriage that Mr. Schuyler had ordered to take us to the camp where the troops were previously staying, and would be leaving today. 

The ride over to the camp was silent, neither of us knew what to say or how to say it. No tears had fallen yet, but we were both emotionally wrecked and worried beyond measure. Eliza had begun courting Alexander the day after Lafayette and I had, and they were absolutely smitten with one another, making it hard on all four of us that they had to leave at such an instrumental time in our relationships. 

I watched the passing trees and houses, trying to decide as each house went by whether or not the owner was a loyalist or a patriot; whether or not their beliefs were the reason that my Marquis was putting his life on the line. In truth, I was beyond proud of him and his bravery, he was willing to risk everything he owned to come to a foreign country and join a rag-tag volunteer army with practically improbable chances of winning, just to fight for what he thought was right. No matter what amount of pride sat in my heart for him, it didn't lessen the amount of fear and worry that surrounded it, nearly taking it over. I couldn't lose him, I needed more time with him. In the short two weeks that I had known him, I had decided that he was the most wonderful man that I had ever met, besides my father of course. He had written me countless letters, each one containing a little bit more of his own handwriting, rather than Laurens', and was getting better and better with each more developed character. They were each written quite fondly and with the utmost love and respect for me, and I wrote him back as often as possible. 

My thoughts were interrupted by the carriage screeching to a stop, my heart feeling as if it dropped to my stomach. I exited first, watching as the many soldiers under my father's command hurried to pack up all their weapons, supplies, and tents. I saw my father, standing in the middle of the camp, ordering soldiers around left and right. I saw Eliza rush over to Alexander out of the corner of my eye, but I continued on to my father, walking quickly despite a handful of wolf-whistles from some soldiers. 

"Dad," I breathed out, tears threatening to spill out already as I was engulfed in his embrace, my cheek pressed against his chest as I clung to him like I used to when I was young. "Please be careful."

"I will, I promise," he answered, kissing the top of my head. 

"Come back to me and mom in one piece," I said as I backed out of his embrace once another soldier walked up to him, trying to have him approve a paper of some sort. He hugged me one last time before taking a few steps to follow the soldier, my voice stopping him.

"Dad?" I called, my voice breaking and a tear streaking down my cheek. "Bring him home."

With that, he walked back over, hugged me once more, and nodded somberly before following the soldier out. I wiped at my tears, scanning the crowd for where Eliza was, because where she was, Alexander would be, and where Alexander was, Lafayette and the boys would be. I spotted them across the field, and I walked eagerly to them, smiling and letting out a soft chuckle when Hercules wrapped me in a huge hug, picking me off the ground and spinning me around.