That Would Be Enough

Lafayette was gone for two weeks, two painful weeks, painful for multiple reasons.

While I was happy for Eliza and Alexander and their happiness, it was unbearable to know that my love could be facing numerous dangers all while the Hamiltons were cuddled on the couch together or eating lunch in each other's company. I had relied on Eliza's mutual heartbreak of her courter being gone to get me through mine as well, and I know longer had that. She didn't understand the hurt that I was going through, nor did anyone else.

I was also sick throughout most of the time he was gone, the doctor believed it to be a case of influenza. I would wake up with a fever and throat burning, nauseous, and it would seem to get worse throughout the day. I was given different medicines by the doctors in order to cure it, but it was painful nonetheless.

Lafayette was not allowed to write me, as they were hardly in one place long enough to do anything other than sleep and prepare, so there was no communication whatsoever. I maintained the belief that no news was good news, but it was hard nonetheless. I missed him, I missed him holding me, I missed talking to him, I just missed everything about him, especially after the conversation that we had before he had left, it made me want to be with him and to be him wife sooner rather than later, especially with the uncertainty of war.

Today was a day long awaited for, the men were to come home. I was finally back to my old self, the only remnant of my sickness was my slightly hoarse voice, and smiled slightly as I got out of the bed that Lafayette and I had shared, making my side of it quickly before I threw on a shawl and walked downstairs to the dining room for breakfast. John looked up and smiled at me as I entered, as well as the Schuyler sisters and Alexander, standing up and pulling my chair out for me. John and I had grown closer in Lafayette's absence, in a completely platonic way of course, but he was often the one sitting with me in the middle of the night talking when I couldn't sleep or calming me down when I cried when I missed Lafayette.

"Lafayette is coming home today," Eliza spoke simply, as if reading my mind. "Are you excited?"

"Of course I am," I answered, smiling. "I'm incredibly happy, I can't wait."

"Any idea when they'll arrive?" She asked, picking at her food absentmindedly as Alexander reached over and interlocked their fingers, their hands resting on the table. My eyes drifted to their interlocked hands, taking a breath as I reminded myself that in a matter of hours, my Lafayette would be home and next to me, that tonight we would sleep in the same bed, that he would hug and kiss me as soon as he got here. 

"No idea," I answered. "Soon, though, I suppose. I hope so, at least," I added, picking at my breakfast. 

"He'll be home soon, don't worry," John whispered from next to me, a small smile forming on my lips.

"Thank you," I whispered back, my hand squeezing his forearm kindly. 

"Have you two discussed marriage?" Eliza asked as I took a bite of my breakfast.

"Yes, before he left we did," I answered, nodding. "He mentioned after the war was won. But after this, after him leaving at the drop of a hat, it makes me want to marry him sooner than later."

"Is that so?" Alexander asked, smiling at the thought of his friend marrying.

"Definitely," I answered, nodding as a small smile grew on my face. "I love him."

"And he loves you, he speaks incredibly fondly of you," Alexander added.

"Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to go and get ready for the day," I said, shoving a few bites of food into my mouth before standing from the table and crossing the room, walking up to the bedroom that I shared with the boys. When I got upstairs, I walked to the armoire that I had kept my clothes in and pulled out an orange dress, opting not to wear any petticoats, slipping it on quickly and smoothing it over in the mirror, admiring how it fit my top half nicely before very slightly jutting out at my hips. I walked over to the mirror and brushed through my hair, allowing it to fall in it's natural waves before applying some simple makeup. When I was finished dressing, I opted not to put on any shoes before walking outside to the front yard and sitting on the grassy hill that overlooked the roads that led to town, so that I could be the first to see when the men arrived home.