A Matter of Time

The days that followed wedding dress shopping was a flurry of arranging for a minister to officiate the marriage, decorating the Schuyler mansion, and doing last minute fittings for the bridesmaids and the groomsmen alike. Hercules was doing most of the alterations, as he was in that field, but I continued to let him know that I could just as easily help if needed, as sutures as quite similar to hemming a skirt or shirt. My mother and Mrs. Schuyler were a flutter trying to finalize a menu and getting a cake in order with the cook. 

We had one more day left until the wedding, as it was scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, and naturally, I was feeling the pressure. As soon as I woke up, I de-tangled myself from Lafayette's arms and grabbed a suitcase to store everything that I'd need for the wedding tomorrow. As we were sticking to the tradition of not seeing each other for 24 hours before the wedding, I was planning to stay at one of the cottages towards the edge of the Schuyler property with the Schuylers, who were serving as bridesmaids, and my mother. The wedding was scheduled for six o'clock, so once the clock hit six today, we were set to be leaving for the short walk to the cottage. I packed away all of the undergarments and makeup and basically anything else that I would possibly need in the suitcase before snapping the clasps on it shut practically having a heart attack when I heard Lafayette behind me.

"Cheri, what are you doing?" His voice, riddled with sleep, asked from his slouched sitting up position on the bed. I smiled once I regained composure and stood up, pushing the suitcase against the wall before walking back over to the bed and sitting on the edge of it.

"Packing for tonight," I answered, laughing gently as he pulled me to lay down with him. "Darling, I have things to do. I can't lounge around anymore."

"Just lay with me for a moment longer," he breathed, his eyes fluttering closed as he wrapped me up in his arms, causing me to sigh contently as I snuggled up into his arms.

"Alright, you convinced me," I acquiesced, pulling the covers up around us. "This is our last morning in this bed," I said, tilting my chin up to look at him. "I never showed you the bedroom that Mr. Schuyler said we could stay in until after the war, did I?"

"Non, you didn't," he answered, his hand rubbing up and down my back.

"It's just down the hallway. Right across from Alexander and Eliza, just enough privacy for the both of us," I murmured, feeling drowsy and sleepy already.

"Good, we'll need it," Lafayette whispered, leaning down and pressing calculated kisses down my neck.

"Gilbert!" I squealed, laughing at his blunt humor. "Mm, my love, I love you so, but I must get up. I need to finish everything up before tomorrow, Peggy needs alterations, as do you and John. I was able to finish Angelica and Eliza, and I know Hercules made his suit to perfection and finished with Alexander."

"What about your dress?" He asked, still holding me tightly to prevent me from getting up. 

"Already done with," I answered, taking his hands in my own and removing them from around me, pressing a kiss to the back of each of his hands before swinging my legs over the bed and standing, grabbing a small sweater and sliding it on to cover my nightgown, before walking over to Hercules' bed. I tentatively pulled back the curtain, fully pulling it when I saw that he was asleep, and gently shaking his shoulder.

"Mmmm, I'm up, I'm up," he grumbled, turning and nuzzling his face sleepily into the pillow.

"Herc," I whispered, sitting on the edge of the bed next to his large body. "You have to get up, we must finish with alterations today," I said, running my hand up and down his arm. "C'mon, I'll whip you up some dinner. The cooking staff has the day off today, since they'll be cooking for so many tomorrow for the wedding, but I can still whip you up whatever you'd like."