The Plan

The Jedi entered a period of mourning before the public cremation ceremony.

The other masters arrived at different times, within the next few days. Anakin felt personally responsible for the death of Master Yoda, and took  it upon himself to tell each Jedi personally, that master Yoda had been killed.

Kanan was the last master to arrive back, and immediately after he landed, a meeting of the council was called. With the absence of a grand master, the order would not function.

It was the responsibility of the grand master to direct meetings, teach the younglings, and meditate in order to foresee probable events that would damage the Jedi.  Now that Yoda was gone, it was most probable that Mace would take his place. After all, he was the most powerful Jedi after Yoda, and it was best to have the strongest be the leader.

The meeting was somber, a sullen silence quieting the minds of all the masters present.

Finally, Mace broke the silence.

"Masters, we have been called here today for the appointment of a new grand master."

Everyone nodded, their eyes glued to the floor.

"Often, the Jedi master is the strongest Jedi with the force and with the lightsaber, the most powerful Jedi that there is," he continued.

Again, everyone nodded.

"During the time of our republic, the grand master was the late master Yoda, a good friend of ours, and a wise leader. Even with his power, I was always told that I would be the master to take his place."

Something seemed off about how he was saying these things.

"I have come to the conclusion that I am not the one to take the position of grand master."

"What," gaped Ahsoka.

"Who are you suggesting," asked Kanan.

"I am suggesting that the new Jedi master be the member of this council who is most qualified. The chosen one."

Anakin's stomach dropped into his feet. "You want me to be the new Grand Master?"

"Yes." Mace was confident, although his comrades were not. "We must think about this rationally. Anakin was conceived by midichlorians, and therefore has the most midichlorians of any of us. His potential for knowledge and power of the force is unprecedented. Additionally, he frequently dreams of future events, and is able to consistently reveal the future in ways we cannot explain. Furthermore, he is apt with a lightsaber, and is the only one of us to have killed three Sith. Anakin clearly is the most powerful Jedi here, therefore he is deserving of the title."

"Not to mention," added Obi Wan, "he's the only one of us who has kids."

"He is a wonderful teacher," added Ahsoka.

"Then it's settled, all for the institution of Anakin Skywalker as the next grand master of the Jedi Council?"

"Aye," said Master Kenobi.

"Aye," said Master Tano.

"Aye," said Master Windu.