Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

"Time to go?" Dylan asked. He sounded excited. Kalliope wondered if the fool cat looked forward to this.

"Time to leave," Lady Circe agreed. Her soft voice hinted at a whisper of loss and even Dylan look down to cover his own sadness. "Ah, my friends, this shall not be a comfortable parting for any of us. I draw my power from these sacred woods, and I dare not leave here. I must remain in body, though a part of me travels with you that I might whisper what help I can give. I will be able to advise you in times of danger, but nothing more. You will take care of each other and the Prince, won't you?"

"Yes, Lady," Petkin answered. Kalliope and Dylan nodded. "We shall do our best."

"I know you will." Circe patted Petkin on the head, and he smiled.

Kalliope forced herself not to shiver at the thought of going without the Lady who kept them safe. She needed to remember her wolf soul and fear nothing.

"I had not thought ever to see you leave here, and especially not like this," Circe admitted, looking from one face to another. "The world is full of dangers and hunters. Remember that. Now go. Fly, Tiernan. The others will mark your path and meet you on the far side of my domain. Go quickly and go safely. I will be with you when I can, though you may not see me except in shadows and darkest night."

The bird made a soft coo of agreement. Lady Circe lifted her arm and the falcon spread his wings and leapt into the air. Kalliope watched, her eye narrowed against the darkening sky. He flew very well, their prince. She could almost envy him that ability.

He quickly disappeared over the edge of the trees.

"Lady --" Kalliope began.

"Go. Save Tiernan and save us all from the darkness. I wish I knew better how to help you -- but you can still call on me in your time of need. Remember me."

"We'll never forget," Petkin promised.

He leaned closer and kissed her gently on the cheek. It must have been a human thing he'd seen done in the village. Circe smiled brightly, and Petkin turned and ran toward the trees. Kalliope could see the tears in his eyes again, but they did not slow him.

Well, the mouse might need help before too long. Kalliope only dared a hand to Circe's arm before she turned and ran after Petkin. She dared not speak.

By the time Kalliope reached the trees, she had realized that Dylan hadn't yet started away from the cottage. She turned back, intending to shout at him to get moving -- and swallowed the words. Dylan stood with his arms wrapped around Circle and his head on her shoulder.

How often had the cat laid in her lap, played with her hair and made the Lady laugh, or chased dust motes to amuse Circe? Of course, his parting would be the hardest of the three. Kalliope even wanted to envy the bond between the two and found she couldn't. She loved them both too much.

Kalliope hurried to the trees and started walking forward, slower now so Dylan could catch up without any trouble. She could see Petkin just ahead, slowing as he began to look nervously around. Running through the woods in human form was not nearly as easy as it doubtless was for a small mouse. Not nearly as dangerous for a human, though.

The night would soon fall, and they'd return to the old forms. Kalliope gave a little shiver wondering if she would find four legs strange now that she'd walked on two.

Dylan moved quietly considering his bad leg. She only heard him when arrived at barely an arm's length away, and she had to fight hard not to show any sign of surprise.