Chapter 10

Kalliope awoke Petkin well after midnight. He looked surprised that she intended to turn the watch over to him. He made three quick rounds of their little camp as she settled down, finding a relatively soft place to curl up. He would keep them safe. He promised to awaken Dylan before first light, too.

In all, this didn't look like such a bad place. Kalliope closed her eyes, glad for the rest herself.

She awoke instantly when Tiernan suddenly cried out in pain and fear. Kalliope leapt to her feet, looking for enemies, but Petkin came at a run, and Dylan sat up reaching for their human. Tiernan still slept, moaning ever more loudly as in the throes of some nightmare.

Such sounds carried too far in the night. Kalliope grabbed the boy up and slapped a hand across his mouth when he gave a startled, fearful cry.

She could feel him trembling with raw emotions that surged through the contact. He didn't know who she was and for a moment he fought with surprising strength. Petkin finally got hold of his arms and bent close to his ear, giving a quick whisper of words.

"No, Prince Tiernan! Quiet! It's me, Petkin!"

He went quite still, except for the gasping breath that made a whistling sound around her hand. She drew her fingers away, trusting his return to sanity.

Dylan was up and moving. Kalliope pushed Tiernan into Pet's arms and joined him, moving in another direction. Nothing seemed to be stirring, though. Dylan quickly returned as she did, and he offered the boy a smile. The prince still trembled and looked uncertain.

Kalliope kept watch around the area, half expecting trouble to emerge from the very trees. Petkin held the boy who looked, finally, both awake, aware and embarrassed.

"I don't see anyone around," Dylan said. "But since it's already near dawn, why don't we head out?"

"I'm sorry," Tiernan whispered. He pulled his legs up to his chest and shivered, feeling the cold that exhaustion allowed him to ignore. "I -- I had a nightmare --"

"It's time to go, Prince Tiernan," Kalliope said. She sounded calm, and that appeared to help the human find his way out of nightmare again. "We would have awoken you soon anyway."

"Let's go," Dylan said. He looked nervous. Then he stopped and looked back at Tiernan. "We're none of us comfortable here, Prince Tiernan. I didn't sleep well either. I dreamed of falling, and I awoke just when you cried out. I'm grateful. I didn't want to hit the ground again."

Tiernan looked puzzled, but the others understood. Dylan had admitted to his nightmare about the same man, Lord Rolin, even if Tiernan didn't realize it. Dylan would tell Tiernan the rest of the tale when he was ready too. It was not Kalliope's place to explain, and Petkin must have felt the same way.

"Let's go," Petkin whispered.

Tiernan nodded this time and stood up, rubbing at his arms and looking very cold. Kalliope realized that they would need blankets and food before long. Human things. They would have to go to a village soon, though it still unsettled her to consider it.

She didn't make the suggestion and likely worry everyone at the thought.

Kalliope almost protested when Tiernan said he needed a little privacy for a moment. He held his ground this time until she finally shrugged and turned away. He didn't go far, and Petkin was quick to follow his example, acting more human than Circe expected.

They must learn human ways, and Tiernan was their teacher. Lady Circe, as much as she looked human, clearly didn't understand some of the nuances of their existence and hadn't imparted much to her three companions. They had to find their own way in this.